Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Books that distract us

Hi @EternalFlame have just bought The subtle art of not giving a f*ck. Whereupon it was nabbed by a colleague because it came highly recommended... Am looking forward to checking it out!☺

Wow! So many great books to add to my list.

@Phoenix_Rising - I loved the Gruffalo. Did you see the film. I really liked that too.

@Former-Member - I haven't heard of those authors before - I will keep an eye out! I can't believe I forgot about choose your own adventure books - they were SO awesome! 

@Former-Member - Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson!! You just took me back to my childhood! I forgot about that book! I've taken note of the others in your list too 🙂

@Bubbles3 -  Hopefully some of the suggestions here can help get you started. It's a great escape (if you pick the right book!). How are you going with Tripwire?

@Delicatessen I have added those to my list - thank you!! 

@Shaz51 - I don't mind the odd magazine or two -especially if they can provide tips like those gardening or cooking magazines!

@Former-Member - I will definitely be re-reading HP books. I hadn't heard of David Eddings before - so I just did a quick google - looks facinating! Zog is awesome! A favourite of mine too!

@Queenie - I hadn't heard of this book before. Will keep an eye out for it!

@Former-Member - I haven't read Lovely Bones, but seen the movie. I bet it's better as a book - as most books come movie, are. Have you seen the film?

@EternalFlame I have read The Life Changing Magic of not Giving a F**k" by Sarah Knight - hilarious!! @Delicatessen - interested to hear what you think of it when you get to it.

I'm up to the third Harry Potter book now. Loving them!

Any other recommendations?

@NikNikGone series by Michael Grant.

Wow you are up and into work early this morning!!

Thanks @Snowie !
*added to the list*
Nice to 'see' you around by the way 🙂

These books are the best iv ever read.

marthalong.wordpress.com/ma-he-sold-me-for-a-few-cigarettes-out-in-paperback-this-may/

Could very traumatic for some people

@NikNik

@NikNik ^^^^^^^^

Thanks @NikNik for all of that last week Man LOL

Thanks @Bubbles3 !
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @NikNik,

Yes I did see the movie "The Lovely Bones" and I did enjoy it, but you are correct about the books being usually better and this was the case with this movie as well. I also loved reading the Harry Potter Series - something that bit different with such imagination and escape together again with that touch of the supernatural. I love novels that ooze mystery - they keep me hooked to the pages and they do serve as a great distraction to my daily stressors.

Such a great thread you have started here @NikNik - it lightens up my load.  I love to read and like you I also enjoy biographies. 

I have had friends in America, England and here in Aussie that are all saying the recent released book "The Woman In The Window" by A.J Finn is a great read. It made the No one best seller list. Author Stephen King gave it a great review stating it was Unputdownable, and that Hitchcock himself would of been proud. I bought it today and when I finish reading it will let you all know what I thought of it. Happy reading 📖 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance