Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

Gratitude

I have decided to start a gratitude 'journal' on here because I want to share the positives too not just when im at the bottom of the barrol and while im not out of that deep dark hole, I want others to share what they are gratiful of as well.

The first thing im grateful for is My work (my second job), after speaking to my boss about the chores that need to be done over next week/s, ive realised just how muhc trust she has in me. Something I never thought someone could be able to truly do when I hardly trust myself.

so a lot of you know who I am and that I have a second job. Some of you may know what a farmhand is while others go huh....

so in light of the people I trusted turning and saying that I need to get a job, I had some free time on my hands today and actually sat down and wrote out what it is that I do and the next time someone times me its not a job Ill be telling them where to shove it.

I dont need to write everything down but will dot point down the roles/responisibilities that I have being a farmhand- or second in charge.

• There are 2 separate paddocks and they both require fencing checks, which involves on the good days (weather wise) or at least every second day a walk around the entire propert (both of them) checking for any fences that are broken or down and also checking the electric fencing units and noting which ones need batteries replaced. Every other day or on crappy rainy or extremly hot days its a drive anywhere the car is accessable to check the fencing and their units. Im not required to fix the fence unless something minor, as my bosses hubby does the fencing but thats on his days off his proper work/job
  • Check each horse on the property (around 120), not go and check specifically each horse unless noticing something wrong, so just noting them and doing a head count per paddock each paddock check
  • ive been entrusted 4 horses into my care which we call the holiday care as the owners are still required to check their horses at least once a week, with sometimes more during xmas and other special occasions and their associated holidays. Duties for this includes, scrubbing bathtubs (if requested and paid extra for) paddock cleaning (if requested and paid extra for, plus other clients on the properties) feeding and rugging with their general needs being met.
  • Talking to clients and as theirs 120 horses who knows who ill meet in the day however most still go to my boss for their problems.
  • Horse handling. If people require someone to hold their horses for vets, farriers, dentitsts or worming or other services im the first one thats given the chance to do this (extra $)
  • feed orders. Every few weeks I organise a feed truck so have to communicate and write down orders and take cash etc so organise the amounts of each feed for the feed business and let everyone know when the orders will be delivered.
  • When my boss goes away, im first in charge so the background stuff she does comes to me for the amount of time shes away.

So out of all that im very grateful she has put her trust in someone who is young (and who doesnt turst themselves) and has allowed me to grow and learn in this role.

Thank you to everyone who just read all that!!!

will try to get better pics when its not raining!

20171020_144415.jpg20171020_144412.jpg20171020_140449.jpg20171020_143703.jpg

296 REPLIES 296

Re: Gratitude

@outlander THAT IS a heck of a lot of work on top of your first job (are you referring to the care of your Pop here?) plus all the chores that you seemed to get lumped with at home and yelled at if not done.

Yes, your boss would have to trust you and place a lot of responsibility in your hands. Not only for the welfare of the horses, but also ensuring stock supplies and reporting of hazards and emergencies. That's a lot for anyone to manage, let alone a 20yo!

@Sans911this is my second job,the farmhand job. so this is on top of my caring duties to my pop and also other responsibilities. 

oh i forgot tending to first aid situations if avaliable for both people and horses!

the clients and things i deal with when im at home as when im at home with just pop i can sort it all out then as its alot of waiting around. the actual field work is only around 2 hrs a day unless paddock cleaning is neccessary. my pop however comes before this and my boss knows that

Not something to be grateful maybe? @Sans911
My pop im sure is starting to show signs of dimentia as well 😞 so i wont have this job forever
Ant7
Senior Contributor

@outlander Wow you have so much on in your life you should be proud of the person you are and all you do.
Also great idea.
I am grateful for my family my kids and my wife I love them so much and they keep me going sometimes.
I am grateful to all my friends on here that have been there when I have needed it without judgement
I am grateful for my Mountain bike it keeps my head clear and makes me happy
Lastly I am grateful for nature wether I am hiking riding surfing I just love being outdoors and in nature 😊❤️
Thanks again @outlander I am smiling just thinking about all those things

great list @Ant7 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

@outlandersis, see I told you that you were Super Woman, wow that is an impressive list and you have other jobs to.

Great to see this thread, a great topic that even when we are going through dark times, there are still things to be grateful for Heart

It is also a varied and intersting job with many skills involved.  WTG

DId I tell you about the lady who spent her teenage years picking up horse doo ... anything to be near them!

It can help to have a ready answer for conversation.  A few years ago I would be stung and silent, not so anymore.

Also the other thing that I have learned is that if I can come up with a quick response in a light manner the interaction that could have been hurtful in past rolls on in better form.

Often they take it on board and a more fruitful relationship starts.

Cheers Bella

Today im grateful for my forum family ❤

I wanted to show gratitude to @Zoe7 who made this image of me in a elf outfit. I hope she doesn't mind me using it as my avatar for xmas!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance