Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Carers Hints and tips to Success

• Top ten tips for carers
  • Number 5

• Get out of the house.

• Do something exciting or different, e.g. Go for a walk, travel, see a movie or art gallery.
  • Get some sun and fresh air, Vitamin D from the sun can help you feel more energised and happier.

@Shaz51
Great tips, keep them coming, out the house today, have an RDO so headed out and having lunch at a recommended cafe. Op shopping to follow, noticed one near cafe is having a sale ... an added bonus.
On the road listened to radio and heard a great conversation with an author about the importance of R&R as we often have busy lives. The things we can control vs those we can't, importance of maintaining relationships. Target audience was young mothers but she did mention seasons of stress in chronic illness where it was not so easy to find time to take time out. She also stressed how we sometimes view time out as laziness but we need to reprogram our thinking on that.
Darcy

Hello @Former-Member HeartHeart

have a good afternoon my friend xx

Yes I totally agree with you , strange how I feel gulty , when you should not feel that way

we need to reprogram our thinking on that.-- i agree

but I find it is People who expect different things from you and how you should act

I hope I make sense, and I think too is is what you and your love ones are happy with xx

• Number 6

• Eat a balanced healthy diet.

• There is a strong link between mental and physical wellbeing, eating a healthy balance diet is important for one’s well-being.
  • Getting the nutrients your body needs to function can help you feel better on a day to day basis.

Yes @Shaz51, the author did touch on expectations from others and how difficult it was to extricate ourselves from these. She said that if we evaluated the amount of time we were able to joyfully commit to community without compromise to R&R time and important relationships and set a firm boundary on this that it would help avoid burnout.

A lot to think about ..

Darcy

• Number 7

• Get support for yourself where you can talk about the illness and how it affects you.

• Go to carer support groups, where you can talk without judgement.
  • See a counsellor or other professional services, as everyone needs support with dealing with the condition and emotional troubles, and/or life in general.

@Hope3, @Natalie and @Feelinglost, @Rose96, @Coraggio, @Jesse1, @Sissy88, @funkykristi, @lizzieb, @JaneTruth, @Puniro,

hello and welcome , have you got some hints or tips that you find that are helpful xx

How are you tonight HeartHeart

Thanks for starting this @Shaz51!

One of the best tips I picked up is to try and not defuse the situation too quickly. By this I mean, when my partner comes into the room worked up about something, I don't tell him "don't worry, it will be fine".
I sort of match his intensity and let him know that I understand why he's upset. After talking it through, it's much easier to calm him down without hurting his feelings or making him feel like he's over reacting.

Another biggy, that has already been mentioned is to try and not feel guilty for the way your loved one is feeling.

I have also learnt to be as prepared as I can. Routine and organisation can be very helpful in prevention.
My partner can be easily triggered by running late. So something as simple as trying to think ahead of time helps us.

Hope some of these can be useful to others!

These  are wonderful advices @Rose96 Heart

I am the second wife , and I had learnt that one early in our marriage as my Husband who has MI, that his  first wife used to say all the time " Get over It"

• Number 8

• Educate yourself.

• Learn about the mental illness and gain a sense of control and awareness.
  • Learn about how to cope with the symptoms as best you can; this can help with lowering stress levels.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance