Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Flight/airport assistance

Hi all,

im wondering if there are any services at the airport to help people with severe anxiety. I recently, for the first time in ages, went on a flight and the experience at the airport with traumatic.

any ideas? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flight/airport assistance

@Former-Member  Hi Aeiou I have a son who is overseas and the thought of going into airports and travelling on planes to see him let alone being in a foreign country territies me. So yes I am very interested in anyone's ideas on having to cope with this stressful situation. 

All I can think of to do @Former-Member is to request assistance from ground or the airline staff due to medical reasons. You might need a letter from your GP, which doesn't need to state your diagnosis, but says that you have a medical condition that requires someone to accompany you from your arrival at the airport until you are on the plane, and again at the arrival end.

My mother flew overseas for the first time about 4 years ago. One of the stops was LAX. It is a busy, noisy and overwhelming airport which I knew she would struggle with as she also has severe anxiety. So I arranged assistance with meet & greet and her transfers with the excuse that she couldn't walk far due to back pain. Not entirely untrue. She has back problems and pain, but can walk OK most days. She was very happy with the service they provided (and so was I).

It's worth a try right?

@Former-Member  I am not aware of assissence at the airport. But I do get a clostrophibic and panicy at times.  With experience I have some stratigies that help me. if you book flights later at night or early in the mornigs the airport is less busy . I also pay for seat in the isle or up front in extra leg room so I can get out of the seat. I get panicy if I feel heamed in. I also do things like take all my jewerly off befor I get in the securiety lines, wear slip off shoes if possible. Get there early so if there are any dramas you are not stressing you might miss your flight. i have a neat little spot where the passport and boarding pass go in my bag. I have my cabin bag well organised with head phones powerbank snacks spare panadol lip balm  antiseptic wipes etc. Thare are many good you tube shows on 'what to pack'. and ones of navigating the airport where you are going. For examplle, arriving at Bankok airport. I will watch thoes ones repetadly  especially if travelling alone. Helps me feel much more secure. There are info desks to ask for help and I just ask any one with a uniform where to go. even the cleaners will point you in the right direction .

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance