Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Lauz
Senior Contributor

It’s a new year…rather than resolutions how about this…

new-year-s-memes-650x569.jpg

Every time new year comes around, comes a sense of pressure to suddenly achieve everything you can ever think of that you desire to be and feel. This isn’t always achievable…if ever! Just because it’s a new year, doesn’t mean we actually have to manifest change straight away.

What if instead, we reviewed something we liked about ourselves, or something we did that helped our wellbeing or gave us a spark of good vibes last year? Then we can focus on bringing, even just a little more, of that feeling, spirit or thing into this year.

What does everyone think? Review and revitalise something that you liked from last year?

I’ll start - it’ something that seems simple…I liked making homemade dips rather than store bought last year! It gave me a great sense of achievement and I enjoyed feeling nourished from the whole process. I want to try to do that again or more this year.

Who’s next?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: It’s a new year…rather than resolutions how about this…

Love this idea @Lauz (and am putting my hand up to having started the year off in pjs doing nothing, after ending the year in pjs too 😁).

Homemade dips sound great 👍

I spent lots of time playing with and learning new crafty things last year. It felt great, gave me some calm down time, helped me practice mindfulness and kept me distracted when I needed it. I would like to keep doing more of that this year.

I also worked on friendships last year and trying to rebuild a bit of a village for the kids and I. That I definitely want to continue this year 🙂

Looking forward to hearing more of these as they're shared!

Something from last year that I enjoyed and will keep doing in 2019? Study. I find it a struggle at times but now the end is in sight with my diploma, I am researching which university I will attend (there are several choices in my city). The list of first year electives is interesting too... everything from Indigenous studies to forensic psychology to music and the brain studies! I am being boring however and am going to pick what I consider the most advantageous for me - Introduction to Academic Writing. Considering I am wanting to do a Masters of Social work/Master of mental health practice, I'll have to (and excuse the pun) master the art of academic writing! 😄

At the moment with my diploma, I am finishing off AOD studies with a mammoth report on Cannabis and Crystal Methamphetamine Usage in Australia. It is really interesting and I must say Australia has the most information readily available for research purposes, especially in the Ice epidemic we are currently facing in this country. 

These are GREAT responses @CheerBear and @Queenie -  also love it as they are inspiring me! (and will hopefully inspire others as well).

Do you feel like bringing more of what each of you has raised into 2019 is fairly doable as you have seen that you can in fact do this? Interested if this reframing of resolutions feels a bit more empowering for people. @Queenie it sounds like you are being quite logical in your study choice there so nothing boring about that. It is no easy feat to study, awesome that you have the end near- you can do it!! Loving the crafty-ness and it's helping you with mindfulness @CheerBear - keep sharing in the craft space too, love updates! Village building is a wonderful focus 🌟

It is good approach. @Lauz

We had a very difficult year in 2018, so all I will say is that it was great my son and survived it, not in ONE piece but TWO separate pieces.

Surviving and continuing to do so through tough stuff is so valuable. Thanks for sharing @Appleblossom 🌸

Thanks for the thread Lauz.

My thing for the year was playing keyboard. I started back up towards the end of last year, having forgotten how much it used to be an enjoyable part of my life. I hope to continue throughout this year.

@Lauz have you tried to make a homemade roasted capsicum, garlic and cracked pepper dip? It's totally delish, especially with the humble old Jatz bikkie.

One of the biggest things I achieved last year was to do much more painting. Finishing one big painting was both a relief and satisfying at the same time. I want to make sure that despite anything else I do this year that my painting continues regularly. It is both rewarded and self-soothing as I really enjoy not only the process but creating something I like.

If I really look at last year it was a massive year of achievments for me but apart from returning to work the painting was the most personally satisfying.

Painting is something I'd love to reignite @Zoe7! Just recently one of my artworks jetted off to its new home in the US. For too long I've left my brushes remain dry. Time to get back into it I think. I received some canvas and good quality artist paint for Christmas in the hope I'd get back into it. I just don't have adequate place to actually do the art. My easels and draftmen's desk is lying in storage downstairs where there isn't enough light. Unfortunately that is unlikely to change until I move out of this house (which probably won't happen anytime soon as I share with my mother in law and wife and sometimes kids). Most of my other artworks were stolen or vandalised when my storage shed was burgled. I am burning up with artistic desire, I just need a space!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance