Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sahara
Community Elder

Australian government centralizing all our health data (whether we like it or not!!)

Hello everyone, I've been away from Sane for a while due to my studies and overseas travel. Today, purely by accident, I discovered that the government is going to put all our heath care data in to one big file, so as doctors can easily access it. It will be kept online somewhere secure.

I think this means that every doctor's visit we have ever had will now be listed and numbered. Everything! It will make it easier for doctors to treat people whose memory is failing.... the patient now doesn't have to remember ever single medication that they have ever been prescribed...

It could be good.

However, what worries me is that any doctor at any time could access this information... so does that then mean that if you went for a job at a large company, they would just ask their staff doctor to look into your medical records so as to see if you had any problems that might impact your job???

Because I have a psych history, I'm obviously going to come off second best against a job applicant who has no significant problems.... wouldn't this make it very easy for them to discriminate against someone like me?

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. This new medical data bank is going to happen whether we want it to or not... you have to go online to opt out of it - you need your medicare number and ID to do it. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Australian government centralizing all our health data (whether we like it or not!!)

Hi @Sahara, there are certainly pros and cons with the My Health Record system and it's worth weighing them up to get more of a sense as to what would work best for you. Just wanted to drop in a link to an existing discussion around My Health Record in case you're interested. 

Re: Australian government centralizing all our health data (whether we like it or not!!)

Hello @Sahara my friend - it's been awhile. How are you? Good I hope.

I think the doctor/patient confidentiality legality would stop those prospective employers from gaining access to your personal medical history against your will.

Thanks @Former-Member and @Margot,

I just read the other discussion on this topic. I'm glad people are aware of this, as I was out of the country and now I'm catching up on news.

I am well, @Former-Member! How are you doing? I haven't caught up with any posts here on sane, yet.

I am afraid I don't trust future employers... not after all the bad experiences I've had. I think that the big companies who can afford it would have a doctor on staff.  What they would do is just put in 'small print' at the bottom of the employment application form something like:

"By signing this form, you are agreeing to have your medical records accessed by our medical professionals in order to protect your health and provide the safest work environment possible."  

It's not like they would even have to ask you verbally. It would just be a given... they would make it look like it was for your own good, of course. If you want to apply for the job, you have to agree to their specifications. Of course you will agree, because you really need a job!

I really think that is what society is comng to now.

Hi @Sahara,

So good to see a post from you and to read you are well. I am doing really well - we will be moving into our dream home shortly so life is looking up.

I have never seen what you stated on employment contracts - I do know that drug testing can be compulsory but to enforce assess to all your medical records without justification I think highly unlikely, due to "versus the privacy act legalities" - hence why we have already been given the "opt out" option of such a medical transparency -  and employers could not then enforce what you stated on a contract at all. So I wouldn't worry.

The options would be in that scenario either not to sign or go for the "opt out" option offered. 

So good to see you around the forums again 💞

I'm glad you are moving into your dream home @Former-Member. What bliss! 

I hope you are right about the medical data thing and I am only being paranoid!

I opted out, just in case. 🙂

@Sahara Hi Sahara interesting I just received some blurb from Medicare regarding this just this week asking for more details. I am probably at an age where it doesn't matter as it will be very unlikely for anyone to hire me again in any position which mi would be a problem (I am looking to do volunteer work instead). That being said for a younger person this must be a worry .... if I was younger and looking for a 'career' would I opt out? probably yes.

I opted out as soon as possible. I dislike the idea of centralised records of private information. For one thing, I don't trust the security systems that are always going to be vulnerable to hacking, data leaks, failures of any kind. Also, I don't trust future governments that may misuse the data further down the track. Also there would be too much room for other parties to access the records, such as other government departments and powerful corporate entities, such as insurance companies. Over the course of my life I have witnessed an increasing level of control over citizens in society, less freedom. I do recognise the convenience of the data bank for health care. But I think the cost of that is likely to be too expensive of individual rights. 

The system as it stands also relies on the gp or health professional inputing all data manually for each person. Therefore if they do not do that there will be significant gaps in your records. There is also the question of how much extra will be charged for the increasing demands placed on GPs etc. to input all the information and will that extra time mean less time actually with patients or longer appointments at an increased cost to patients. 

Some very interesting, good points made above to think about. Good thread serving as food for thought @Sahara

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance