Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

CONFRONTING MOVIES

Really do have to be careful what we watch, expose ourselves to. Recently I watched that fairly new DVD "LAST CAB TO DARWIN" Oh my goodness, it talked about dying a lot. Apart from a vivid acount of the Australian autback, it was a powerful, sometimes humerous perspective of terminal illness, euthenasia and suicidal ideology... All very confronting. What stuck out to me was the way he said "its really hard to k... Yourself!" Only a person who's been down that road knows what he meant. It really messed with my head a while. The depression & SI.

Does anyone else find these movies a trigger at times?
12 REPLIES 12

Re: CONFRONTING MOVIES

Hi TAWNEY. I must say you were BRAVE to watch that. No way could I watch it. I can't watch any or the 'Terminator' movies as I can't watch people being cut in half. I like drama, but not that much. I watched 'Once Were Warriors', I'm ex-pat Kiwi, that was enough. Too violent, over the top language. I know there's domestic violence everywhere, but the movie tried to say the Maoris are the worst offenders. How untrue, there's good and bad and violence in all races.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Pip, have you watched 'The Last Cab To Darwin? It's not really violent, outback gruff maybe but nothing like terminator. Sorry might be on a different wavelength. Nice to see you though 🙂

@Former-Member. There are some things I still can't watch since getting sick. Far too emotional for me. The other week I was watching a movie I was enjoying and then a character in it developed suicidal thoughts. I had to turn it off. Take medicine to calm down & then divert myself.
I can talk about SI on this site, to a degrer, but I can't watch or read about it.
Former-Member
Not applicable

'AN OFFICER & A GENTLEMAN" where a friend finds his friend after suicides,. This movie came out not life ng after my young friend died the same way. I still can't watch that scene, have to turn away, skip fwd, upsets me. Not just because it f my friend but now also, se ing lifeless bodies triggers reliving my girl's last day. 😞

I have a wide collection of mental health related movies and I find Girl, Interrupted an extremely triggering movie. I can only watch it when I am in a good frame of mind. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Haven't heard of that o e @Queenie, what's it about briefly, what affects you?

@Former-Member it stars Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie and is set in a women's psychiatric unit. It shows the ups and downs of different mental health concerns and I find it confronting because of all the old school treatments like straight jackets and heavy tranquilisers and such. 

Some years ago, during mental health week, I visited a psychiatric museum at an old hospital. As part of the demonstration they asked for a volunteer for to put on a straight jacket. I volunteered and never forgot the experience. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant and it still gets me to this day.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh dear, I think that particular movie & jacket would trigger me too. Really do have to watch out what we watch. Or debrief afterward. Gosh 🙂

I can't watch anything where there is animal cruelty, or an animal dies - it really upsets me. There is a great website Does the Dog Die? for people like me 🙂

I don't mind watching gruelling drama, but can not bring myself to rewatch it as it is just so full on - think Once Were Warriors (brilliant movie) and No Country for Old Men. I forgot about Last Cab to Darwin, I definitely want to see that one.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance