Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Whim
Senior Contributor

Honesty- highs, lows, drink, drugs and pharmaceuticals

Hi,

So, the last time I went onto this forum was about 2 weeks ago. i wrote a poem, which I regretted the moment I awoke the next morning. 

For those of you who don't know me, I have apparently been diagnosed with Bi-polar and anxiety. I totally agree with depression and anxiety, but am unsure about the bi-polar part.

So, when I wrote the poem I was nearing the end of a short spat of happiness and joy. Yes I had more energy, enthusiasm, comedien etc within me, but was i 'up'? I don't think so....

Anyway. 

Get it out 'whim' I'm saying to myself, fingers spread like half spiders on the keyboard.

I know I am abusing alcohol. I can do several days in a row without a drop, but find it hard to stop. I don't drink when I'm depressed as I know it is a depressant etc, but when okay(ish) or 'happy' I do. I then can't wind down so take a prescription pill of at least three varieties (I have pain too) to help me relax enough to hopefully sleep.

I am addicted to pot, with tobacco, and know I so desperately need to quit.

I just wanted to be honest in the only place I feel I actually can be.

Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Honesty- highs, lows, drink, drugs and pharmaceuticals

Hi @Whim

I really like that poem - and now you have been so honest - I can see the background - 

Thanks for trusting us with the truth - you can - we are gentle people here

You know you need to get off the stuff you are taking - I can honestly say I have no idea what that is like but there are people here who do - and I think you know that being honest with yourself is the first step to getting clean

All the best Whim - I wish you the best and hey - I know when I read something that was worth writing - I think you have a great talent

Dec

@Whim Hi Whim I like the title of your post 'Honesty ...' it is a tough one for us all. After reading your post I thought long and hard as to whether I am honest and I just don't know. I could use this post as a confessional I suppose although the mods wouldn't like it. 

Here is something I am being honest about the board is full of friendly formites who appreciate everyone's poetry. Your poem was great and I look forward to reading another one when you are ready 🙂 greenpea

Hi @Whim That was a hard post for you to write, what a huge step. We will treat your honesty with respect and care. You know inside yourself what needs doing. Take care. Travelling along with you.

@Whim. Well done on sharing. Not always easy to do.

I abused alcohol for a long time. I still find it hard on days I'm happy, not to celebrate with a drink. But I drank everyday. NO. Doesn't help the Depression.

NO judgement here. Glad you felt comfortable sharing.

Wishing you all the best.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance