Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Community Guide

Hyperventilation Verses Panic Attack

Hello everyone

Someone who we work for asked me today if there is a difference between Hyperventilation and a Panic Attack as her grandson has started having panic attacks

she is wondering if they are real or if he is making them happen?? and was he Hyperventilation or having a Panic Attack 

Community Guide

Re: Hyperventilation Verses Panic Attack

Hi @Shaz51. Panic attacks often start for me with a racy heart and tight throat and chest, which make it feel hard to breathe, leading to me taking fast short breaths (which I think would be hyperventilating).

I'm guessing there may be other reasons someone could hyperventilate aside from panic and I am also thinking not all panic may always involve hyperventilating, so I think they are probably different things.

I'm not sure if I could intentionally put myself into a state of panic, though with the link between panic and breath, maybe it would be possible. Regardless of whether someone is experiencing a panic attack or hyperventilating (internationally or unintentionally) I would imagine there's a real to them reason behind it though which might help to work out/through.

Hope things feel better for them soon.
Community Guide

Hi @Shaz51 as far as I know you can purposely make yourself hyperventilate. I've seen experiments on it, but it doesn't necessarily cause a panic attack. However, panic attacks can cause hyperventilation as part of the anxiety. I know because sometimes when acutely distressed, I have to control my breathing as panic sets in. 

I hope that makes some sort of sense, my mind is a shambles right now and I'm struggling to be coherent.

You wake up in the middle of the thunder of a scream and you realise it was yours...
Community Guide

thank you @Queenie, @CheerBear

sending you tender hugs @Queenie HeartHeart

yes she likes to talk to me when we go to her place and she told me what happened to her grandson twice now and after asking a couple of questions I found out what would of triggered the panic attack

and his mother has Borderline Personality Disorder 

Community Guide

I hope this young chap is getting support @Shaz51. I remember being the child of a parent with a mental health issue. It can be very confronting and sometimes confusing world.

You wake up in the middle of the thunder of a scream and you realise it was yours...
Community Guide

no support as yet @Queenie but his father is looking into it

his parents are not together anymore and he has 3 younger sisters