Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

The torment of guilt, the senslessness of worry

worry.png

Why do we feel excess guilt? Guilt can come from poor upbringing or excess reflection on our own actions, too much insight and evaluation of our own actions.

A parent that has the balance wrong with praise, encouragement and criticism can implant a guilty mind into the child. Once grown, a feeling of- never good enough- emerges. This self criticism then causes reflection on our faults and past antics and decisions.

The good thing about guilt is it helps you stop repeating the bad decisions we have made. "I wont drive fast on this dirt road or I could lose control like that time in 1995". Guilt etches experience sin our mind. It's natural to have guilt if you have basic intelligence. Where it serves no productivity is when its excessive. It's like pouring water into an already full bucket, its wasted and causes mud around you that is problematic. You spend your life finding ways to avoid muddy feet rather than watering the dry plants with that bucket of water.

Worry is just as bad. Worry in totally non productive. Unless of course you are worrying about arriving late for an appointment and you run to make up time. Otherwise, worry produces ulcers. Parents worry about their 18yo daughter/son going to a nightclub, they sit in front of a TV that reports crimes at those venues and imagine their child being the victim. Little might they know their child had decided not to go to the venue but instead accompanied several friends to a new Star Wars movie. The next morning their child is laughing at the breakfast table about the show while their parents hair is grey by the minute. It's simply so basic this worry thing that its silly worrying at all. One can be a caring parent and not worry. This proper perspective is life enhancing but sometimes we need professional help to right the guilty and worrying ship from its list. Even a little change for the better will allow you to sail better in a more healthy manner.

As I've said many times before it isnt easy stopping these things. We have to introduce distraction. Activities like going to the movies ourselves will distract our worry for a few hours, a few hours less stewing over issues that might not be happening.

I'm going out to the garage noiw to clean it up. I can worry about the incident last week of falling off the ladder or feel guilty about not fixing that leaking gutter. Or I can just clean up the garage, put a sign oin the ladder to be careful and fix that leaking gutter if I have the time. I'll put on some music too. It's a choice, I have the power to get things into their priorities and not worry so much. Worry and guilt or wisdom and fun?

WK

3 REPLIES 3

Re: The torment of guilt, the senslessness of worry

@Whiteknight - that is really thought provoking! My guilt and worry is a major head-doer-inner, but I hope to choose wisdom and fun instead! 

I found this great story online the other day thought it was a brill tool for the toolkit - ways to turn those intrusive thoughts around.
People Are Sharing Hilariously Genius Ways To Banish Intrusive Self-Hating Thoughts
C
heers and waves from a lovely autumn day...

@MoonGal

"Disassociating from intrusive thoughts-" spot on Moongal. Sometimes articles explain us better than we can muster ourselves. That's exactly what I meant.

You've got the spirit!

WK

Really interesting and useful reflecetions @Whiteknight. Thanks for sharing this. Lots of wisdom here 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance