Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Wonderingsoul
Casual Contributor

confused - does anyone understand transference?

Hi...

I don't know how to ask this so it makes sense.

I've been seeing a psychiatrist for a while and I still have trouble talking with her.

We've been trying to talk about why it makes me so anxious.

And she said something about it being because of transference. 

What does she mean? I know I should ask her but I just feel so stupid. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: confused - does anyone understand transference?

Hi @Wonderingsoul

Welcome to the forums - I am sure you will find help here

Transference is a technical term which vaguely means that some of your thoughs and feelings are redirected to your therapist instead of the person to whom you originally thought and felt about

That's about the best I can explain it here - other people might do better - it is probably going to help more if you talk about this further with your therapist

What you are experiencing is normal and often happens as part of therapy - I have felt it myelf in the past - nothing to be afraid of

All the best with that and your therapy

Dec

@Wonderingsoul wrote:

Hi...

I don't know how to ask this so it makes sense.

I've been seeing a psychiatrist for a while and I still have trouble talking with her.

We've been trying to talk about why it makes me so anxious.

And she said something about it being because of transference. 

What does she mean? I know I should ask her but I just feel so stupid. 

Hello @Wonderingsoul

@Owlunar has explained the meaning in a nutshell..

you have been trying to talk about anxiety....your actual anxiety is making that difficult to do...basically the more you push through your feelings about this difficulty you will start to have a better understanding of where your anxiety stems from as well as why you still struggle with it...

If you trust your therapist...start to feel safer about talking about sensitive issues...it will start to make more sense..

As dec said the transference itself is nothing to worry about...you are working through your issues..

I hope that I haven't confused you further..

continue to write on here as this will help release some of your pent up feelings also..

take it slowly and remember to be gentle with yourself..

take care

Brilliantly said @Sophia1

It's not an easy concept to understand @Wonderingsoul- to talk about even - 

See how things go - if your therapist is understanding it might go very well for you

Dec

Hi @Wonderingsoul,

Definately not stupid. Its a a kind of confusing idea, and the language that your psyc is using is really technical. Its not a word or term that most people would know about without having to ask some questions. The other members who have replied here gave some great explainations. I dont really have anything to add, but wanted to say, welcome to the forums 🙂

@Wonderingsoul.

Transference is quite common with patients and their therapists.

I've experienced transference with an old friend. Where I transference my feelings of not being in control of my life - with the idea, that only this old friend can save me. (I no longer feel this).

Thanks everyone

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance