Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zaphod
Senior Contributor

Exposure Therapy for Anxiety

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Exposure Therapy for Anxiety

I have been seeing an anxiety therapist and he indroduced me to an approach i hadn't heard before.  Has anyone else heard of or tried exposure therapy?  I've had ongoing issues with social anxiety and this approach struck me as revolutionary!  Basically its identifying personal anxiety triggers and safety behaviours and then planning different ways of being in an anxiety producing situation while monitoring what happens and without using any safety behaviours.  Eventually, and with practice, new evidence is gained and maladaptive and percieved threats are less threatening.  I tried it out the other day.  To address the fear of feeling conspicuous in public, i purposfully went to the shops wearing mis matched shoes.  It felt crazy at the time, but no one noticed and my confidence grew a bit and my anxiety lessened.  It was also fun.  That was a low risk situation for me, but im keen to try this out some more.

So ive listed a set of short term, mid term and long term 'Exposure Goals' and have developed a sort of cbt exposure diary to monitor progress.  It sounds like a lot of work, but i'm feeling empowered.

SHORT TERM GOALS:  (low anxiety risk).  Stuff like wearing mis-matched shoes in public, shirt inside out, speak to strangers in elevators and cashiers commenting on the weather, purposfully making eye contact to people in public, say something incorrectly (fear of looking foolish), taking extra long at atm (fear of conflict), etc.

MID TERM GOALS: (medium anxiety risk).  Mainly for me stuff around going out to cafes/restaurants with family or friends, or having lunch with co-workers/fellow students.  For someoone like me with social anxiety, this is more challenging.

LONG TERM GOALS: (high anxiety risk).  Stuff that involves me inviting people over, initiating social get togethers, dating, and anything about letting others get to know me (fear of being judged or being rejected).

I've only just begun on this journey....the therapist and i are going out for our first exposure session in public next week.  Looking foreward to it now but likely to find it challenging.

Actually I've been on this journey for most of my life....but have finally found a therapist and an approach that makes sense to me.

I know that you will succeed.

All the best @ Zaphod.

Cheering for you x
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance