Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

KMG
Casual Contributor

How do I help my alcoholic Dad

Hey there

Im going to cut to the chase because I don’t really feel like beating around the bush or making this longer than it needs to be 

My dads been an alcoholic my whole life. I’ve watched him come home in police cars due to drink driving, talk about suicide and verbally abuse me my mum and brother. He has NEVER gotten physically abusive and sober he is the best man I know, that’s what makes it so hard and it’s probably why I still care after all these years. 

Sober (which isn’t often), he is near a perfect person but due to working 80 hours a week he comes home every night and gets drunk instantly and will down a 1L bottle of scotch in 1-2 days as a coping mechanism.  

We have tried getting his brothers involved, numerous serious discussions have been had, I’ve offered help in anyway I can, we hide the scotch but he’ll drive drunk to get more. I know someone will say you can’t help someone unless they want it but I’m tired of sitting back and watching the same thing happen. I’m worried he’ll be on his death bed far too young and I’m seeking advice on how to stop that from happening before it’s too late. 

Please anything will help, I’ve turned into an extremely angry person because of this and I don’t want to start resenting who I am because of someone else’s addiction. Dads worked too hard all his life and I want him to spend whatever spare time he has sober and happy, not drunk and depressed. 

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How do I help my alcoholic Dad

@KMG Hi KMG my dad was an alcoholic and could be abusive both verbally and physically and then could be the nicest man you have ever met. My mum called him a 'street angel home devil'. The thing is you cannot help him until he helps himself. My dad died from diabetes brought on by his drinking and there was nothing we or the doctors could say that would make him stop. Sad but true .... and yes I turned into a very angry teenager and 20 something because of his drinking but I am at peace with him and can honestly say that I love my father.

I am sorry that you are going through this with your dad ... stay strong. greenpea

Re: How do I help my alcoholic Dad

Thank you, anyone responding and understanding would have made a difference to me. 

Im so sorry things never got better for you but I’m glad you’re at peace. 

I hope I one day will be too 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance