Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zam
Senior Contributor

Schizophrenia first hand

Hi everyone,

Its been asked a few times since i joined up here that i make a thread about dealing with Schizophrenia. So i thought i would finally do it.

For people that dont know, i have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and have been hospitalised many times and been through the health system, so if anyone wants to know anything about first hand experiences, i am very open about it all.

Hope everyone is all good

39 REPLIES 39
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Schizophrenia first hand

Hi @Zam
Can I ask how old you were when you were diagnosed?
Darcy

@Zam If you don't mind me asking, what kind of schizophrenic experiences do you have?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello Zam

This is brilliant. Thank you so much for doing this.

I wanted to add that you are under no obligation to answer every question. You monitor exactly what you want to discuss.

Also, we need to be mindful that whilst living with symptoms of schizophrenia you are studying.

We must respect yours and your family's privacy.

i myself have a trillion questions, however will leave you in peace whilst others ask theirs first.

Hi @Former-Member, i was 25 almost 26 years old when i was diagnosed. i was in hospital for a while before the diagnosise an dthey had to do all sorts of tests to rule out anything else before they could make that diagnosis.

Hi @Spookytookims, nope dont mind at all 🙂

off medication i expreienced Audio Hallucinations (voices), Visual hallucinations (people, shadows, animals, trees with faces), delusions (thought police were sneaking in house and poisoning my food, thought that a ex girlfriend had hired a hitman to get me, people reading my thoughts and also me hearing theirs).

Also no energy, insomnia, depression, very anti social, stopped taking care of myself basically.

Hi @Former-Member

thank you. i have no problem answering any questions, im very open about it. i dont feel the need to hide it. it is what it is, trying to hide it and bottle it all up on the inside just makes things worse. Also being in hospitals and so on, you get used to opening up about it pretty fast since a lot of people ask questions. but yeah i dont mind what so ever. If you ever want to ask anything im happy to answer.

Hi @Zam,

I just wanted to say a very big THANK YOU!

Starting this thread and offering to answering questions is very geneous. 

It's really wonderful to get advice and information from someone that has first hand experience. 

@Zam, I second @CherryBomb in saying this is a really insightful thing you are doing and thank you so much for giving us this unique opportunity.  Does it help you too, to answer the questions? I'd hate to think you were not getting anything out of it.

I do have another question, if you feel up to answering. 

That all sounds really scary.  When you had your first episode did you reallise something was amiss or did it feel real and logical at the time? I would have been terrified, I think, but I would like to hear how it felt to you.

I understand if you don't want to answer, it might bring back memories you don't want to deal with and I apologise profusely if I have done that.

hi @CherryBomb

thank you and im happy to help others in any way. if talking about my experiences helps others who are going through something similar in anyway, it kinda twists something bad into something good.. thats my way at looking at it anyway. A big reason why im now getting into the work field of mental health

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance