Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Boo13
Community Guide

A new symptom?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could provide me with some insight into whether I should follow up on some changes in symptoms that my son has recently experienced and I have witnessed.

He was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 12 months ago and has just turned 17.  He has recently had a relapse, but is starting to turn the corner again.  My concern is that I have seen him twice suddenly stare off into space and be unresponsive to me or anything around him.  It has only lasted a few minutes each time.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: A new symptom?

@Boo13 Hi Boo13 when my son is unresponsive it is generally when he is hearing break through chatter. I would definately bring it up with your son's doctor.

Thank you.  Having recently spent a week in hospital, I think he will be very reluctant to tell me about any voices.  He says they are not there.  I'm not convinced

@Boo13 Yes they get a certain look on their face don't they like someone is whispering in their ears (at least for my son). Definately doc time. I hope it goes well for your son 🙂

Boo13 how certain are you that he's taking his meds?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance