Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

I can’t do it and I can’t Walk away what can I do

I don’t know what to do. I have an adult child with a bipolar disorder. My partner also shares this diagnosis although I didn’t understand this during a very precarious quarter of a century of family life. I feel responsible for the inter generational lack of appropriate care but realise I was hard wired for codependency as a child. Something happened yesterday which made me face up to the extent of my current difficulties. I have realised my son is in another very problematic relationship with an emotionally disordered individual. The first I was in denial hoping that they would sort out things, the second I tried to accept for what it was and tried to bear the anxiety of trying to be supportive even to the extent of taking an anti depressants, This only helped with denial. Now I have to live with the understanding that I have helped to support another generation of abuse. I don’t know what to do this time.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: I can’t do it and I can’t Walk away what can I do

Hi @Former-Member

I remember you from years ago. Smiley Happy

I am struggling with similar issues regarding the transmission of intergenerational trauma and my children's relationships.  

I am still involved as much as is accepted by them, but am learning so slowly about this concept of boundaries, without actually cutting the whole kit and caboodle loose.

It seems its self care and not guilt tripping oneself that is the only way forward.  We take responsibility for what we can with our eyes open, but social life of humans is evolutionary.  

Not sure who else can help....

@Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member @Shaz51 

Anyone else ...

I agree with @Appleblossom ...... we can only do what we know how to do at the time ...... and as we learn more, we can do more, or we can just stand by, having done as much as we are able to.

It is necessary that you look after you @Former-Member ...... and I too am glad to see you back here, albeit under better circumstances.

As it turns out, the eating disorder issues that beought me here in the first place appear now to be symptomatic of inter-generational illness ...... something I didn’t see coming, nor could I know what to do or not do in support of it ...... but as it has now rolled forward into some of our own offspring, we are doing something in suooort of it now.

It also appears that this generation are to be the teachers for the older ones, because this generation is undergoing therapy, and as a result, are sharing some do’s and dont’s ......

Ohhhh hello @Former-Member my friend ,  HeartHeart

I agree with @Faith-and-Hope, @Appleblossom  --- we can only do what we know how to do at the time ...... and as we learn more, we can do more, or we can just stand by, having done as much as we are able to.

@Former-Member my husband has been diagnosed with lots of  things and I have being trying with every new diagnosis , It has been a lot of every day ups and downs , until this year he had been diagnosed with Bipolar 11 , so I am learning again step by step and day by day

and I thought yes that is totally what he has , looks like he had it all along

It seems its self care and not guilt tripping oneself that is the only way forward my friend

we are here for you , you are not alone xx

Hi @Former-Member

I am almost certain that just about every carer has thought all would have been well (or very different) "if only I had ....." There are of course no guarantees that this would have been so, things could have been worse.

As a partner, a sibling or a parent we do not come with a built in medical compendium or "how to" manual. We respond to situations the best we can with the knowledge and resources we have.

Finding out our loved ones have a chronic mental illness often comes at a time of crisis. Learning what we can do so that there are better outcomes for not only the patient but all family members can induce feelings of shame as we realise that the way we responded in the past was perhaps not the most helpful. This does not make us responsible for our loved ones illness or the choices they make.

It is never too late to make changes that will help with our own wellness and that of our family. I see a counselor and have made changes to help me cope. One thing I have realised is that no one is exempt from difficulties.

One thing that really helped me to deal with my husbands diagnosis was the Fresh Hope tenets, a bit along AA lines, Fresh Hope have carer statements like this:

My loved one’s mental health challenge has also left me feeling helpless and hopeless. Therefore, I choose the help of others in learning about the disorder and choosing healthy boundaries for myself.

I haven’t always responded to my loved one’s mental health issue in ways that were good for the relationship. Therefore, I choose to learn better ways to communicate with, support, and encourage my loved one.

At times I also feel hopeless, letting my loved one’s actions and recovery define my happiness. Therefore, I choose to live with healthy emotional boundaries, and I choose my own joy despite the ups and downs of my loved one.

The Fresh Hope website is so very helpful, it is religious but please don't let this put you off. They have practical advice and do not shy away from just how difficult a diagnosis can be (NOT pray and it will go away).

https://freshhope.us/about-fresh-hope/

It has put a smile on my face to read the responses here. Thanks for replying.

Take care of you @Former-Member .....

I have thought of you ....

💐💕

I have thought of you too @Former-Member and have tag you earlier xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance