Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

UprightRabbit
Senior Contributor

Just a bit tired after the last crisis.

Hello fellow people.

Just posting to remind myself that I'm not the only person in the world at the moment, I think. My partner's last crisis wound down two days ago but I still feel shocking. There must be a cumulative effect I think, as I can usually bounce back more quickly than this. 

I have a headache I can't shake, I feel nauseous more often than not, I can't get my head right to catch up my uni work, and the house is a mess. Should be able to get things back together again more quickly than this.

Virtual elbows to all, 

Upright Rabbit.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Just a bit tired after the last crisis.

Hello @UprightRabbit 

Crashing after a crisis has abated is exactly what happened to me and  getting some supports into place for oneself I believe is imperative so that one is better able to manage the next crisis that happens (whether or not it is MH related or not). 

We are not alone in this, indeed a study done on resilience in nurses showed that support post major event was necessary.

I had some of the symptoms of carer stress that you have at present including an inability to concentrate on my work and a messy house.

I found getting a counselor that helped guide me through the aftermath was most helpful. 

You might like to join us in this decluttering discussion thread Decluttering and home maintenance which was started as a follow up to one on the LE side which had run its course. In this thread mutual encouragement is given to tackle our clutter and other household tasks that need our attention. I actually found that taking control of my mess (which was a slow process) was parallel to my recovery from the crisis. 

Darcy

images - 2020-08-08T125838.480.jpeg

Hi @Former-Member 

Thank you so much for replying. Carer stress. I start crying the moment anyone is nice to me. I have decided to come up with a crisis management plan and I stuck a note on my mirror saying, 'I  promise to look after you first'. 

I am simply unable to help or support my partner right now. I haven't got anything. Carer stress crash is a thing then, right? I'm not imagining it?

Hope you are caring for yourself first today too.

Friendly elbows, 

Rabbit. 

No, you are not imagining it @UprightRabbit ,it is also known as carer burnout. There are a lot of good coping strategies in this thread Carers Hints and tips to Success that might help as well as in 8 dimensions of wellness .

Hi @Former-Member 

I'll spend some time this evening looking around at the bits you have suggested - thank you, I appreciate it.

Ate some food and took my son swimming so that's good 🙂 feeling almost human again. Hoping you are well, Rabbit. 

@UprightRabbit  Hey UprightRabbit and hiya @Former-Member  hoping you both have a kind and caring day ahead. Dont forget to look after yourselves. Love peaHeartHeart

You too @greenpea 

Good morning @Former-Member and @greenpea 

Hoping you are well 🙂

I'm interested in being a contributor and a help to others as well as asking for help myself but it will take me some time to learn everyone's backgrounds. Is there a way to do this? I am guessing that the best way is to spend time reading through existing posts and narratives. I am likely to need a lot of help moving forward lol, but I don't plan to be someone who only asks, I plan to be someone who asks, uses what they're given, and offers support back when I can. 

Best, Rabbit.

@UprightRabbit  Good on you Rabbit. We need that on the forums. Best way is to dive right in. Look at the various threads and introduce yourself. One of my favourites is the Re: Good Morning!  thread. Have a look around and tell me what your think :Dx

@UprightRabbit 

Most people tend to contribute most to discussion threads that are relevant to them such as diagnosis ie BP (bipolar) Sz (schizophrenia) BPD (borderline personality disorder) or relational to the person they care for ie partner/ parent/ child/ sibling.  In the "looking after ourselves" category there are plenty of mutual discussions on self care, shared hobbies that help us express ourselves (which help us cope) and the social pages where it is nice to have a place for general banter without the serious stuff with those who understand threads include a virtual cafe, dogs, cats, other funnies. There is a little crossover on the social pages - the one @greenpea suggested is on the LE side, the dog thread is more active on the carer side and the LE side has an active craft thread.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance