Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Anonymousi13
New Contributor

Parents

Let me start by writing the following, I’m not the perfect son, I did a lot of mistakes and to my knowledge I tried to fix and/or apologise for what I did.

I’ve always been a happy bloke but recently I’ve been feeling like crap. I’m on the verge of letting lose on some kind of drug or else just flat out runway. I don’t know how to help myself. 

So, my mom is a workaholic and I never really had that relationship with her like in the movies, but that didn’t bother me.  I know that she just wants to provide for us (me and my bro). But lately I’m getting really pissed, everything I do is bad EVERYTHING but the real problem is that she adores my brother (older) cause of it was her character I’d understand but to see her praise my brother and then criticise me is awful. Recently i completely changed my career path and instead I’m  focusing on an entirely different field (from doctor to a businessman) but instead of showing some support since I started taking a course, I get the words “if you keep heading down this road, you’ll end up living outside” and “your only good for sleeping, eating and not much else” imagine a 16 yro kid going to school with that thought.  Sometimes I really wish that instead of buying nice things for me (I have the latest phones and the latest things), but I would get rid of everything that I have to here the words “good job” or at least some appreciation. Talking to her is pointless, she just ridiculous my feeling and/or starts shouting. Boy o boy I hate the 

shouting, when she comes at home I get chills, cause either this is bad or that and even if I do everything the way she wants, she manages to find something to shout about. Everything I say seems irrelevant to her or pointless and the worst is she’s completely oblivious of her favouring my brother, he’s 21 years old and lives a rich life to the point were he literally doesn’t know how to live on his own (sometimes I’m sad that he doesn’t know hoe to be independent).

My brother is really spoiled by my grandma, and I mean spoiled to the point that if he doesn’t get what he wants he’ll start destroying my grandmas house (he lives with her for the obvious reasons) but my mom thinks I’m the one who doesn’t appreciate money and instead of spending loads of it, like my brother, I try to save. And I’m also sad that my grandma is in that situation, she can’t really help herself because if she stops giving money to my bro, he acting like a child and if she talks to my mom, my mom would ridicule her or else starts shouting the words “you always say that, it’s an exaggeration” 

And my father, he hates my guts because I do not help in the family business and my brother does and for that reason my father criticises my life.  But at least I appreciate that ones in a while he’ll congratulate me and doesn’t explode when i talk with him  unlike my mother. 

My mom’s attitude is really destroying her relationship with my father and me, because the last couple of months you can’t really talking with her since she starts shouting or else she makes you feel like you’re a waste. And I don’t know why because business seems to be going awesome (even though I don’t work in the business, I take interest in what’s happening, I just don’t want to and really don’t know how to contribute).

I really feel useless in my family, since I have always been a dreamer with a lot of goals, hearing words like “you’ll never make it” really destroys my spirit. I don’t know if I’m overreacting but I feel like a waste in the eyes of my mom. She blames me for everything bad that happens as well , I’m not really an emotional person but sometimes I feel like destroying everything In sight because of the anger that I have.

I just wanted to write this post because I really needed to express my feelings and also share my experience. Sorry for my horrible sentence construction. If someone has any ideas, I’m open to discussion.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Parents

Hello @Anonymousi13Learning to give the teflon non stick flick to criticism ... is hard ... but sounds as if it is essential in your position.  There are a few younger ones on the forum 

@Flying_Hams @outlander

Take Care.

I’m sorry but my english is not that good, what does’ “to give a Teflon non stick flick to criticism” do you meaning I have to learn to ignore it of face it?
utopia
Senior Contributor

It doesn't sound like your mother will ever give you the encouragement or love that you crave @Anonymousi13. You may need to find that encouragement elsewhere.  Encourage yourself.  Be your own cheer leader.  Keep dreaming of the goals you want to achieve,  make your plans and go for it. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance