Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

kaiti
New Contributor

Side effects of ECT

Hi, 

I received 12 sessions of ECT in May this year for treatment of a bipolar mixed episode. OK sure it got rid of my symptoms but has left me with a feeling of permanent disconnect from reality - it's a sensory thing, my experience of the world is v different. At times I feel I don't exist, other times the world doesn't. It's really hard to deal with. I've stuck with prescribed medications and have.upped antipsychotic meds to knock me out if things get bad. Has this happened to anyone else? Please tell me it will go someday?!  Also, as a result of the ECT, I have lost a lot of memories and feel I only exist here and now. It's like I'm running from time. My short term memory is really bad too. A psychiatrist recommended cognitive remediation therapy... Something to look into. Right now I need to help to just live, not question if what I'm doing is right all the time, second guessing myself and somehow not be so overwhelmed. I've taken too many things on board. Any advice please? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Side effects of ECT

@kaitiHi kaiti and welcome to the forums. I have bipolar I and schizo. I have not had ECT but have loss of memory and while the medications where being adjusted I was disconnected to the world (I think your description explains it perfectly). It has been a year since the medications were first introduced and I can see the benefits but also the side effects (weight gain etc). I am seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist and have a mental health nurse and my team have worked wonders for me I am so much better from when I was when I began my mi journey. 

Stay strong greenpea.

Re: Side effects of ECT

Hi Greenpea,

Thanks for your reply. How did you get rid of or bear with the disconnectedness? I'm struggling. Also am struggling with the fact I haven't vacuumed and mopped floors in over a year and that 17 years later I still haven't made my house a home. Mess everywhere. I had decided shortly after my daughter was born that I didn't have a life and my life was to do everything to bring up my daughter free from everything I am experiencing with bipolar disorder. Post ECT I am trying to get "me" back but I feel guilty....
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance