Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

he2
Casual Contributor

Starting ADHD medication for the first time.

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD (at age 28) and have just begun trialling medication, and while I will be contacting my psychiatrist to discuss how it’s going shortly, I think it would be useful to hear what it’s like to start on meds from people who have experienced it themselves. For context, I do not experience the hyperactivity associated with ADHD, but I am highly inattentive. I’ve been on the meds for just over a week now, and I’m not sure if it’s going to be like my antidepressants where I slowly noticed after a month or so that I was feeling less down, or if I will be able to clearly identify a difference.

My psychiatrist asked me to keep track of when it starts to kick in and honestly I just don’t know? So far aside from some very mild side effects like a bit of a headache, or some light abdominal pain, I feel nothing? Not more focussed? Not high? I’m still doing all the space cadet stuff that I always do. Forgetting things, difficulty focusing, easily distracted. I'm still struggling to last the 7.5 hours of sustained focus needed at work. 

What did getting on meds feel like for you? Was it obvious or did it take real reflection to notice? How did you know it was working? Was it a lightbulb moment or more gradual? Did it take a few weeks to kick in?

Really appreciate any feedback you have.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Starting ADHD medication for the first time.

Hi and welcome @he2

I'm sorry it's taken this long for you to receive a reply. I hope this doesn't deter you from staying.

I don't have adhd, but my sis and one of her children do. She was diagnosed by accident when taking her child to the paediatrician. As the doctor ran through each symptom, she started to put 2 and 2 together and realised she had all the problems he raised.

He offered her one tablet of the relevant medication to use at home so she'd experience first hand that it wouldn't harm her son which he did with each mother. To my sister's shock, she sat and watched a full half hour program on TV without being redirected by a thought to do something esle - for the first time in her life.

The effects were recognisable within 20 min's of taking the medication. When she told the doctor, he smiled because for people who don't have ADD disorders, it's like using 'speed'. It revs the brain up instead of calming it down.

I can't comment on your specific situation, but maybe talking to your psych about my sister's experience could be helpful for you both.

Again, a big welcome...

Hope :ok_hand:

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance