Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Distress Tolerance // Tues 17 July, 7pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

Life throws up a range of stressors that can impact us is unique ways. Discomfort isn’t generally something we like to feel so when those strong emotions come along, it can be hard to know what to do to manage.

Distress tolerance is all about learning how to deal with strong emotions. So join us, to answer the question, “how do you cope when you feel like you can’t?”

Share your experiences of coping with uncomfortable emotions. What works? What doesn’t? And what would you like to do more of to support you on your recovery journey? 🐼

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

183 REPLIES 183

Re: Topic Tuesday // Distress Tolerance // Tues 17 July, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone,

Welcome to tonight’s Topic Tuesday!

Special shout out to those members who liked the post to be reminded of tonight’s discussion: @eth@MoonGal@jupiter84@fishkettle@Fee1@MrTee@janedoe2@Appleblossom@hlw1996@Buttercup87@RoteZora@Leighyu@Hobart@sammie66@PurpleCat@Lizard@Tali@Sans911@Leo27@AJC@Trabeccy@Former-Member@CheerBear@Halfpotato@Andra@adelaide_2018@Karenwren@outlander@stuck66@melq83@Adge@greenspace@Twinklelight@BlueBay@Former-Member@frog@Zoe7@Teej@CoreyPaul@Larns@adlaide77@ladygrace@Leanda@Ruby5@Maree11@utopia

Looking forward to talking about all things distress tolerance.

This discussion might interest you if…

• Sometimes it feels like you can’t cope
  • You’ve learnt helpful ways to manage strong feelings
  • You want to explore how you might be able to deal with distress in a more helpful way

For those of you who are new to Topic Tuesday, this is how it tends to go….

I’ll be raising some questions for you to consider. There’ll be around 10-15 minutes for everyone to respond to each question. This is a forum for peer support and discussion so don’t hesitate to jump in and chat to other member’s and raise your own questions on the topic too. 

Self Care

While we will be talking about coping with distress, this conversation is not the space to seek immediate or crisis support for how you’re feeling. If you find this topic triggers you at any point please take care - take a break from the screen, engage in self-care, or call a help line for support. If you need more immediate support please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

We generally dislike feeling uncomfortable – be it feeling cold, hot, hungry, or in pain. The kinds of discomfort we’ll be talking about tonight is emotional discomfort, also known as, distress. These are the unpleasant feelings we all experience, and as much as we don’t like them (and at times, wish we didn’t feel them), they are a natural part of life.

To kick off tonight’s discussion, we’d like you to share what interests you about the topic of distress tolerance?

Interested in the ways others cope when feeling distressed - what works, what doesn't and what do you not want to hear when you are feeling like that.

I am here because I have a situation where I developed an avoidance anxiety in visiting my elderly mum in her aged care facility. I have taken myself in hand about it, and my partner came with me on the first visit in a couple of months. I found even the smell of the handwash in the bathroom very triggering for distress. Let alone the quiet, subdued atmosphere, as well as having to interact with my mum. In minutes I had spiralled up into an anxious mess, despite the reality of her behaving herself, my partner being there to 'moderate'. I find myself incapable of moderating my own distress in this situation and am puzzled by it.

My tolerance for stress is at zero at the moment. And I find that I am having melt downs quite often lately.

I’m interested in hearing what sort of functional strategies people have for coping with distress. My tolerance for distress is fairly low and I unfortunately tend to use avoidance as a coping mechanism which is less than helpful in work situations. 

Hi Margot,
What interests me most about distress tolerance is that I find it difficult at times, when I become very stressed, to calm down. As I have panic attacks (rarely nowadays) I'm wanting to learn of more ways to recognise when an attack may be coming on and how to calm down before it leads to a panic attack. Also how to become more tolerant of distress so that if does not lead to an anxiety attack or anxiety is what I'm looking to understand from tonight's forum.

Hi everyone!

I'm interested in distress tolerance as I seem to find myself most in trouble when I'm not effectively coping with emotional distress. Learning how to cope with and tolerate emotional distress has been (and will probably continue to be) an important part of surviving and living with the challenges I face.

Looking forward to tonight's discussion.

I've just come out of my 1st hospital admission with complex ptsd. It's a big time of learning new coping skills, expecially with the overwhelming flight or fright responses kickin when I am triggered. I'd like to manage my emotions not just react anymore. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance