Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

Supporting a loved one experiencing a mental illness can be challenging at times. Particularly when we feel excluded from their treatment journey.

For this month’s Topic Tuesday, we’ll be joined by @Lynne1 from Mental Health Carers Tasmania. @Lynne1 will share her experiences, with a view to explore how you can feel more connected and included in your loved one's recovery.  

We look forward to hearing your experiences 🐼

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

90 REPLIES 90

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone,

Welcome to tonight’s Topic Tuesday!

Special shout out to those members who liked the post to be reminded of tonight’s discussion: @MRK@CharlieBravo@Elrod@Mae88@Adge@Nezumi_Juan@outlander@Shaz51@Appleblossom

I’m pleased to welcome our special guest, @Lynne1 from Mental Health Carer’s Tasmania. Thanks so much for joining us tonight 🌻

This discussion might interest you if…

• You’re supporting a loved one living with a mental illness
  • You’ve felt excluded at times from your loved one’s treatment journey
  • You want to explore how you might be able to feel more included and connected in your loved one’s recovery

For those of you who are new to Topic Tuesday, this is how it tends to go….

Our special guest will be raising some questions for you to consider. There’ll be around 10-15 minutes for everyone to respond to each question. This is a forum for peer support and discussion so don’t hesitate to jump in and chat to other member’s and raise your own questions on the topic too. 

Self Care

If you find this topic triggers you at any point please take care - take a break from the screen, engage in self-care, or call a help line for support.  If you need crisis support please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

Good evening all!

hi everyone!

Welcome @CharlieBravo @outlander🌈 Great to have you here. 

Thank you.

Hello, welcome and thank you for the opportunity to share with you around feeling excluded from a loved one's journey through mental health services.

I've certainly had this experience! It left me feeling isolated and invisible, and that services didn't understand the amount of time, effort and resources that I've been able to give. Dont' get me wrong! I take on the caring role willingly and take every opportunity I can towards better mental wellbeing

Hello @Lynne1 et al

Welcome @Former-Member 🌻

Thank you for your welcoming comments, and forgive me while I take time to get into the swing of the system!

Here's a question: sometimes I've felt unable to find a way to be heard. Can you relate to that? What has worked for you, what advice do you have, that could help bridge the gap between carers and service providers?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance