Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

theaveragejoe
Senior Contributor
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Why Mental Illness is not a correct terminology

Thank you @theaveragejoe Heart

How incredibly interesting I am not sure I agree with the theses but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I totally agree with this. Ive always struggled with labels and being stuck in a box by someone that really only has a snapshot of my life experiences that contributed to the way I am. I am not mentally ill, my mind reacted perfected normally to unnatural circumatances. My personality is not disordered my experiences were.

Hi @Freedumb

I agree - our personalities are not disordered - our experiences are

Really - how would our diagnose sound if it was written in the only box on the form at we had Physical Illness - which is the same as it being written that we have Mental Illness - and I hate that term

I think rationally there are some people so disabled by their depression or other psychogical disorder that they are very ill in the sense that they need constant support to just get by - however that support is maintained but for a lot of people - myself included - I feel the term emotional discomfort seems to fit the bill - 

I actually think everyone has some kind of disorder which actually makes us all different and interesting - I made up a title for my personal disorder - it's AAF - Arguing with Aurhority Figures Disorder cause I challenge my past therapists

But let's know more about you - I notice you are a new contributor so I would like to welcome you to the Forum Family - I am sure you will find support here

Dec

Hi Dec

I like your term emotional discomfort. Even emotional disregulation is less offensive than a label that declares our personalities as disordered. Its time the DSM was reviewed and reflected a little more compassion.

I joined the forum today and will do my intro shortly, its a bit long winded and I have to be in the right place mentally. Ive only just accepted this diagnosis as being accurate for me after watching a series by a Dr of psychology explain it with compassion and hope rather than the shameful curse it felt like.

Thank you for your welcome. Smiley Happy

Thank you @theaveragejoe I will look at these web pages when I can. the topic sounds interesting.

@theaveragejoe , I agree that mental illness is poor and harmful terminology, and doesn't represent the situation well. here are some of the alternative decriptions i have thought of (i have bipolar) 

- neurological dysfunction

- neurological malfunction

- neurological defect

- i go a bit mad sometimes, but i'm working on getting it under control and i am not dangerous.

- defective brain

- my brain has a defect

- my brain is a bit defective

- i have a broken brain

- my brain doesn't always work properly. 

- sometimes my brain goes haywire 

I prefer Psychological Injury in contrast to physical injury. However I have heard from others that say their Psycological Experiences are gifts rather than injuries.

People usually feel protective of people with mental illness and almost society bands together when someone is ill. I guess there are some who don't see it that way.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance