Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Pheenstar
Senior Contributor

Looking for the right psychologist

im neil and am looking for the right person to help my partner with somr sort of personality disorder, some sort of morbid state she is in,check my other post to see if you can understand the sitution, she is ready to talk (sort of)

probably a skype hock up situation(paid) with bonus for real results, Does not have to be any documentation or record, im just looking for results,, and i want the right person the first time and dont want to take any un neccessary risks... 

The person would have to go through an extensive interview by my self to see if they have what it takes to help her... a full understanding of the situation and a logical process of how to help her and able to think outside the box if neccessary, i would even be willing to talk to someone who has gone throgh a similar situation, we are busy and maybe once or twice a week after hours

message me, if interested or you know of anyonr who might be interested

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Looking for the right psychologist

Hi there @Pheenstar

Unfortunately it is against the Forum guidelines to discuss specific Psychologits/Psychiatrists/Counsellors as it could be seen to be serving yours or somebody else’s commercial interests and could be interpreted as professional advice...

Finding the right Psychologist really depends on a connection between two human beings built on rappore, trust and confidentiality, which can take a numerous tries of finding the right person who works for you and 'gets' your experiences and then can offer some treatment to help that individual.

Your partner might like to start searching for a Psychologist using the Australian Psychological Society website where they can put in the symptoms, location and up will come the Psychologists in your area with their contact details so they can start to ask them some questions such as if they offer Skype sessions, costs and basic treatment queries.

APS - Find a Psychologist Service:

http://www.psychology.org.au/FindaPsychologist/?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=Sidebar%2BTile&utm_ca...

It can be an anxiety provoking process opening up and talking to someone that you don't know so it's helpful if your partner is able to look for someone that works for them so they are more comfortable with beginning that process.

I can understand that you want to know all about that Psychologist and there is a degree of trust that you want to build up with them also, it can be challenging sitting in that uncertainity. It could be helpful to check in with your partner after the sessions and listen to their concerns going into therapy.

Lunar

Hi Neil, I've been in a very similar situation. All I can suggest is that for starters you ask your partner if they would feel more comfortable with a male or female, then look for a therapist with some life experience. Some psychologists have a short bio about themselves on their websites. See if you can find one that maybe has a similar interest to your partner as that will give them common ground. The first psych I got my partner to see was all wrong and it took a court order on a driving charge to get him to see another one who was a drug and alcohol counsellor with experience to share and clicked perfectly with my partner. We have since moved and the new psych was terrible and he now refuses to see anyone at all. So important to get it right. Good luck, I hope you get the help you need.

Hello 🙂 How have you gone with your search @Pheenstar? How are things for you are your partner at the moment, any luck in finding the right therapist? 

I wondered if this blog might be helpful in touching on information around finding the right therapist also.

Keep us posted 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance