Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TideisTurning
Peer Support Worker

A World Of Your Own

Hey Everyone, 

I've had the idea of a 'mental safe space' (not necessarily the technical term) introduced to me as a mindfulness technique to use when I might feel a bit overwhelmed or stressedto mentally take myself away temporarily before re-grounding. Basically, the idea is to be able to imagine yourself somewhere else- it could be somewhere that actually exists, somewhere your imagination has created, or a combination of the two. It could have anything and anyone you want in it, but is essentially, to borrow from one of the songs in the recent Wonka film (here), a world of your own. 

'A world of your own 
A place to escape to 

A world of your own
A place to go when you're
Feeling alone,
feeling unsure'

Feel free to use this space to share what your own little world might look like (as much as you're comfortable with and within guidelines of course). If you're not sure or stuck, I feel like the song, linked above, paints a picture of what the character's mental world might look like.

You might then like to revisit this thread to add to your little world (something I do if a little extra mindful escape might be needed) or remind yourself as needed. Also, feel free to tag others you feel may benefit from this space too!

@Fluttershy1 @Snowie @Captain24 @Shaz51 @Birdofparadise8 @Oaktree @PinkFlamingo @creative_writer @Adge @Jacques @Sophia1 @Glisten @Bow @Healandlove @Patches59 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: A World Of Your Own

Hi @TideisTurning 

I did this exercise with my psychologist.

My safe place is an empty classroom with a female teacher. I am with her cleaning the blackboard after school and she makes me feel safe and protected. 

@TideisTurning 

As a child my home wasn’t a safe place. There was family violence so school was a safe place for me.

I have done this with my psychologist too. And she actually reminded me of it in session today…. 

my safe place is a particular beach that we go to. I can see the rocky cliffs to the side and my daughter playing in the sand in front of me. 

That sounds like a lovely safe place @Bow 

How old is your daughter that is playing? Is she little?

My daughter is 8 @Oaktree 

@Bow 

In your vision she could be any age.

Hey there @TideisTurning 🙂🌺

This is a really nice idea, thanks for sharing it 🙌🏻☺️

I’ve never heard of this technique before. Found it very interesting to read people’s replies.

I’m a volunteer at my local dog shelter and this is the place that automatically came to mind to me.

I can see myself in a couple of different places with the dogs; sitting with them in their bedroom( kennel) sitting on the floor with them in the volunteers lunch room or laying with them in the sunshine 

Welcome to the forums @1978 

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing you around on the forums. It's great to hear about your volunteer work at the local shelter.

Feel free to introduce yourself Welcome! Introduce yourself here 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance