Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sapphire2
Senior Contributor

Creativity and Mental Illness

Hello everyone!

I have been mentally unwell at this time so I have decided to pick up a pencil and start drawing again. So I am seeing how this improves my mental health.

I have been having difficulties with Schizophrenia and auditory hallucinations..Three hallucinations are scary to. me but this means I need help. As well my doctor has to do an injection today. The reason I bring up this is because if you ask a psychiatrist that you might need an injection every 28 days. When it gets closer to the injection wearing of and with the medication stops working days before the injection is due. So times this happens.

What to do if this happens::

-talk to a loved one

--talk to your doctor

-seek out a psychiatrist

-join support groups

-seek out a psychologist

These are a number of things you can do. Also do creative activities. 

Make sure you:

-Realise

-Recognise

-Ask for help

So try communicating your needs and right a list down.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Creativity and Mental Illness

Hey @Sapphire2 Thank you so much for sharing your coping strategies. I'm hearing your hallucinations are scary but it sounds like you have some good skills to support yourself through those harder days. You're an inspiration 😊

hey @Sapphire2  I have bipolar 2 but only recently diagnosed. I got through life relying heavily on creative stuff, my emotional cycles meant I jumped between a lot of things like writing, painting, sculpting, music... and drawing of course!

It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things to try and deal with schizophrenia, I have talked to some people before with it and it sounds really tough.

What do you like to draw? I would draw all kinds of silly things, especially at uni I never took notes my books were just filled with drawings haha.

Thanks so much for sharing @Sapphire2 , these are really handy tips and strategies that I think many will benefit from reading!

I'm sorry you're going through this right now with your medication wearing off, but glad you have some good coping mechanisms in place and know what to do.

I have found creative outlets to be very helpful, I like to do creative writing when I'm struggling I find it helps get my emotions out.

I hope you find some respite with your drawing 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance