Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jake63
Senior Contributor

I'm looking forward to yoga tomorrow!

In the spirit of taking care of ourselves, tomorrow I am heading off to yoga with my support worker. I have never done yoga before, so I am excited to see what it is all about.

At the moment, I am reading a couple of books but the book I want to talk about is Seneca's Letters to a Stoic. I really like it where Seneca says the following:

'So — to the best of your ability — demonstrate your own guilt, conduct inquiries of your own into all the evidence against yourself. Play the part first of prosecutor, then of judge then finally of pleader in mitigation. Be harsh with yourself at times.'

This quote reminds me of the Socratic questioning method, where we are given the opportunity to look for evidence that counts against the beliefs we hold. If you haven't checked out Seneca's Letters, I highly recommend it - I love it!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I'm looking forward to yoga tomorrow!

Hi @Jake63 

Well good on you for trying something new and I am sure you will have a lovely time tomorrow.  Not sure if Seneca would be my cup of time as regards reading but will check it out, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Have fun tomorrow

Hi @Jake63 , well done you! It takes a lot of courage to try something new! When my mental health was at one of it's lowest points I started going to yoga classes and trying other new activities - this really helped my positive self talk (I can try new things) plus, yoga is great for consciously breathing, grounding yourself and depending on the class can be a great work out or a great space to relax, rewind and reflect! I hope it goes well for you!

Thank you so much -- I am sure I will have a great time.

@Jake63  it can take time to get use to moving in ways you arent use to before and how you feel afterwards should be an interesting follow up post. 

Personally I did enjoy it and made me relax but man I definately need to be stretching my body more.  Looking forward to your next post😊

Haha - I also need to stretch my body a lot. I have a number of exercises my physio prescribes to help me strengthen my calf muscles so I can get back to running!

Hi @Jake63 

Interested to know how the yoga went, will you be inventing a new position any time soon lol

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance