Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sapphire2
Senior Contributor

Mixes up medication!

Hello everyone,

Has anyone mixed up anti depressant medication? Well I have yesterday I had my night time medication in the morning.

I was stressing out due to having hallucinations. From the medication auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations etc.

I also had the side effects of acute psychosis. Also I was trying to get to sleep last night and I had anti-depressant induced movement disorder.

So I am going to talk to my psychiatrist and psychologist. I will contact them to see what is going on.

So the reason I put this one up is because about talking about struggles affiliated with hallucinations. Going through this alone is difficult. But if you ask for help that is a bonus point.😉

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Mixes up medication!

Hi @Sapphire2 

How are ye feeling now, have you had a chance to speak with your medical people about what happened.

Haven't experienced the symptons you have described, but am sure others on this forum have and will be able to relate to what you went through/ are going through.

Just checking in to make sure you are ok

All the best and don't forget to contact your medical support team

🙂

Hey Sapphire, 

This is my first reply here, so I hope I'm doing it right.

That sounds like a scary experience to go through. So I believe you are saying you were you by yourself? I find things like panic attacks and hallucinations much harder when alone.

I don't know if this helps, but if I was in your place, especially when alone, I would call an ambulance. Many people believe they need to have a stroke or something to call an ambulance, but the few times I needed one, the ambos always said that many people who should have called an ambulance, because they feel they are taking up space for "more important" cases. Your case is very important, so don't hesitate to call 000.

I don't know if these are considered hallucinations, but since my separation 5 months ago, I often see one of my kids, wife or our cat walking through my rented room, always from the corner of my eye. My psych says it's a side effect of grief.

But you're SO right. Sharing your issues almost instantly make them easier to handle. 

Let us know how you went with your psychiatrist and psychologist. Thinking of you, Sapphire! In here you're never alone.

Cheers - Flux

Hi @Sapphire2 , that sounds like a really scary experience. Like others have said I strongly suggest you contact your support team. I have visual hallucinations in conjunction with my paranoia (from BPD) and the medication I'm on helps me hugely with this, I am lucky that my mental health hasn't gotten to the point where I struggle to recognise reality from fiction but I know the feelings the body goes through and how scary symptoms of psychosis can be. 

How are you feeling today? 

Hi Sapphire,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

This is my first day here, so I'm probably doing some things wrong. So, when you wrote: "Have you had a chance to speak with your medical people about what happened?", were you asking about the hallucinations or my first post:

https://lifeline.saneforums.org/t5/Something-s-not-right/From-Bliss-to-Betrayal-Navigating-Heartache...

If the hallucinations, I mentioned it to my psych and he said it's normal for people in severe grief to see things from their previous life. So he's not to concerned.

How are you doing now? Do you live with others, or alone? The hardest thing for me out of a long list is to no longer live with my family, especially because because I never wanted to leave and it came so unexpectedly. I told my counsellor that I wanted to start dating again, as I've never lived alone for my whole life and I find it terrifying.

I am going to wish that, the next time we chat, we both feel a little bit better.

😎Flux

@Sapphire2 

I have mixed up my medications previous and it really does knock you about but I can't say I have experienced the same as you. Previously I have had really livid dreams which I don't realise at the time that I am actually dreaming  and seem to just sleep continously for hours at a time, which I can't wake up from and when I do I am groggy as. This has depended on the medication and dosage.

It takes me a few days to get back to my normal self and routine.  I have a morning pill container and a night container clearly labelled and different coloured so I can easy tell the difference at a glance.

A lot of people have had a medication mix up at some stage of their journey, so you are no alone in having that happen. I can empathise with you how real  these hallucinations are to you and how it effects you thoughts, feelings and behaviour. 

Hope you start to feel a little better soon 😊

I am okay and talking with my psychologist she set me straight.😊

I have absolutely mixed up all sorts of meds by mistake. I have been using a Webster Pack for the past ... 15 years? And I have made way fewer mistakes, as long as I pay attention to the day and time of day 🙂

I take more than 12 types of medication now, and the Pack is invaluable. I get mine from my local chemist.

If you are not familiar with Webster Packs (and I'll say this for other people's benefit too), is where they dispense all your meds into another packet, with, for example, all the breakfast meds for Monday in one blister of the Pack, and so on. There's usually enough for a week in one Pack, and I collect mine for 2 weeks at a time. My chemist provides this service for free, and delivers.

Webster Packs make it much harder to make mistakes, or at least you can see when you made a mistake and what the mistake was, and why you're feeling weirder than usual.

Wow, that was a really long answer. But yes, I've often made med mistakes, and the worse off I am mentally, the more mistakes I make. Thank you Webster Packs!

Anyway, I hope that you are feeling even a bit improved if you see this.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance