Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Daisy121
New Contributor

Talking to gp about feelings/issues

Hi everyone, 

How do you talk to your gp about your feelings and thoughts?

Everytime I go I freak out, start panicking and struggle to talk about my issues. 

I can't make eye contact, i give yes/no answers and brush off any conversation. 

I want to talk about my SH and S***dle thoughts but I'm worried about it being on my file and any repercussions. 

I know she only wants me to be happy but I'm scared of what will happen if I talk.

She has previously suggested cbt but I'm dead set against talking to anyone as I've been taught you don't put your problems on to others.

Really not sure how to go about this.

Sorry for the long post and thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Talking to gp about feelings/issues

welcome @Daisy121,

It can be hard to talk to GP's, have you tried to write down everything you want to say and hand it to them? I know when I asked my GP for help, my anxiety was extremely high. I never feel heard when I talk to GP's. This way they have to take notices of me.   

SANE has wonderful Peer workers service over the phone that you can talk to, They have lived experience and I can tell you when I used the service it really helped me. 

You wrote: "I can't make eye contact, i give yes/no answers and brush off any conversation."

Theoretically, that will already have extensive notes on your file. And your GP has more than likely mused on the implications like Trauma histories etc

As Miss-Wish said, if you can't verbalise it, writing is an option

If you can't write it, having a family member write to him in a concerned way is another option (And has real impact)

Thank you for your support.

Only my husband knows some of my issues even though we've been married 15 years.

I'm good at hiding my emotions/feelings. 

I think my doctor now knows more than he does.

Had an appointment today an upping my meds. Hopefully this helps although do have to go back in 2 weeks. Will see if I have the courage to go back.

Just want to break the cycle but so scared and lonely. 

Everyone has issues though so shouldn't whinge.

Appreciate your advice everyone.

I don't know if it will help you, but I try to keep to the facts and be kind of analytical or emotionless about it. Almost like taking a car to the mechanic. I try to keep it as simple as possible without going into the background of things, eg:

• I am feeling depressed and am concerned it is not going away.
  • I have s**cidal thoughts and feelings but they are only thoughts and feelings. I do not have a plan or intent.
  • I would like your recommendations for treatment.

Hope that helps.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance