Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Bi-polar and support strategies for families

Hello All.... I have been online for awhile... Possibly because Dad has been in the more depressive/quieter phase with his bipolar....heeeelp!.... The manic period is here again after 15 months of the quieter stage. My sister and I are so ragged with worry for Mum (& Dad of course).  He is soooo different in this stage for Mum....busy with phone calls, suddenly interested helping randoms in the community...spending money, interfering with how we run our little families, speaking poorly to Mum, disrupting her sleep, mixing up plans, arguing, wearing different clothes, re-buying tools he has had etc etc etc...

I could go on but I am sure I don't need to outline to this forum the kind of observations that can be seen in the manic phase.

Yes....in the quieter stage we swore we would try to see things happen differently as soon as signs of mania emerged.... And we have got him back to Psychiatrist early, meds for sleep prescribed, same psychologist then seen by both Mum and Dad separately and together.... Yet really what can we do!...?

So couple of specific questions... What do others to when it comes to managing the money/spending?... Especially when in the thick of this phase and he is assertive and determined to execute independence and what he wants to do!!?

Also ..... Mum is trembling and looking very unwell...seeing the GP...but how can we break the cycle?..I think she needs a break from him but she is scared to leave him home and come to ours as to what he will get up to or that he will spend. Appreciate any tips and support... Thanks so much...

Hey @Bluesky1, are you familiar at all with Carer Gateway?  You and your mum might be able to get some support (including respite) through them Smiley Happy

Take good care. Hopefully some others here will be able to think of some ideas and provide support too Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance