Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Depression Dementia Dad

💜🌷💐🌻💕 @Former-Member .....

Grrrr ..... hearing you.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member

Thinking of you ... 🎶

thinking of you @Former-Member Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Far out! My hearts still pounding from Bro4 bashing on wall 0630 waking me up saying “just seeing if you’re alive” and he left. No doubt cranky i haven’t answered his tx msgs begging for money again. I’m sick of that. Haven’t told anyone irl about SI do not that. And I hate that excuse for hurting people - that pretence that they care or are helping. I already gave him all my coins this week and paid him $20 to do lawn ($20min) a few days ago. Already given him $1500 since the sale of my house. I don’t believe he’s woke me early because he cares - he’s angry that I’m not giving him more money or answering his msgs. If you knew the delusional rubbishy in the msgs etc You’d blockbit too. Woke up to them yesterday morning - it throws me of balance. I wanna help but don’t wanna be used and hate seeing him distressed. And he’s the only family member who stays in touch with me, and it hurts. There’s ways to show we care, and what’s happening here is not that. Though there’s something there. Confusing.

Beta go visit dad today,,. set up this hdmi DVD player I bought him. Found a collection of MASH series at the OP shop the other day. He loves MASH, being a Korean War vet & all. Haven’t been in for 3 days since he actually thought I was someone else, saying “you’ve only come once since I been here” clearly mixing me up with someone else, probably my estranged sister who did come once for Father’s Day. Dad is very aware of his surroundings, and jokes s lot too so it’s complicated trying to work out what he means.

snyway, better get up

Former-Member
Not applicable

91BA281A-A476-4B86-BCD9-4C9820197478.jpeg

Dont wanna get up 🙂 

Former-Member
Not applicable

thumb_im-up-if-youre-expecting-bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed-go-7399050.png

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh my goodness. Got a compliment from one of the nurses today. She acknowledged how much work dad is and how I’ve done such a good job at looking after him this year (and mum before that). After she walked out I burst into tears. All I’ve had is criticism from siblings (accept bro4), so finally, someone who knows - she acknowledged that there are many of them there and I was just one, doing everything... wow, this is amazing. Feels so good to be acknowledged.

Took dad out to his regular cafe, got his glasses fixed and got him to choose some fruit & nuts. He enjoyed that, and the coffee custard tart (his fav). Here I was laying in bed thinking it’s all over I can’t do it anymore, but when it comes to helping people / dad, Wonder Woman comes out of nowhere & I pull it off with proficiency, Push through the back pain when normally I can’t and, well, ya do it ‘cause ya have to.

Also took the Hdmi cable & DVD player up to dad today (found the DVD player at salvo for $10), and. Put MASH on for him. Today someone had shaved off dad’s mow too 😞
The beard the other day and now the mow. Had words with them (he’s been there 3/12 - how could they not know that a beard is his thing grr! Took me several times to get the hairdresser to book him in monthly for neck up everything, and she was doing it so I’m cranky. They said they’ll label his charts better for him to have his Captain’s Beard look.. Yeh, believe it when I see it.
Anyway, he seemed ok, more and more stiff each time I see him, hard to manage.

But liked his drive, seemed to remember some things / places... Less the backseat driver than usual today (withdrawn) but still cracked a couple of jokes.

Told one of the nurses he’s “going out of here next week” Interesting he doesn’t say ‘home’ anymore, nor did he ask to turn twd home when we passed his street to home.

Dementia is cruel but sometimes I think he’s better off not knowing what’s going on.

Why am I telling you all this? Lonely I guess... Sorry

@Former-Member Heart

how are you going?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @outlander, got a bit done today and that always leaves a sense of control & hope. Apart from upset tummy and back pain atm I’m kinda ok ta.
You’ve been quiet, hows things? How’s your hand, your living circumstances,?your car?

that is good to hear @Former-Member
tummy and back pain arent fun, ive got to deal with those too. you gotta take care of those though.
mm ive been abit quiet, things have been really hard, they still are but tonights abit better so am online abit more tonight. my hands going good, i cant lift heavy things and i still need to be careful with it. still gets abit sore and stiff ive ive used it abit but otherwise going ok. my car is going to cost me $1300 to fix which i cant do until i can get my loan after xmas so i have to limit the driving for now. ill also be having an upcoming surgury so next friday ive got a consult with the surgeon

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance