Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Hospital experiences.

@Atalanta glad it went well and that he cared 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @JasJac just wondering if you were in public or private? I've heard there's a big difference. My psych wants me to go to hospital and I'm weighing up my options with private health cover. I'm a nurse so I have spent a few weeks doing prac at public psych units and I agree with the people who are saying they leave much to be desired... the staff seem disinterested and there wasn't much therapy happening. My psych wants me to go to the private one he is affiliated with for therapy etc because tablets aren't enough right now for my depression which is a new diagnosis.

@Atalanta

I've actually found the health care system to be pretty good when it comes to being suicidal. Not sure if you have the same in your state, but in SA we have a mental health triage that you can phone at anytime of the day, any day of the week and in bad situations they usually send a counsellor or nurse out to your house asap. This is a public health service- maybe you could look into similar things in your state. Might save going to hospital....... 

I don't have private cover but I don't think I will be needing it. I've been somewhat ok the last few weeks...so how things go.

I like to express my thoughts about suicide and hospitals. I ve had couple of suicide attempts luckly didint die, i now feel it was stupid of me because if i was a total waste i would have died out of many other reasons i guess i am worth being alive. Ive been hospitilised because of paralised state of mind havent eaten or slept for 3 days just lying at my bed, my parents called the hospital and they took me for 2 months. First period at the hospital i didnt even look at the faces even mirrors. It just was horrible. But in the end it felt like an adventure to tell myself sometimes to cheer up.

I think our main reason for thinking of suicide or being bipolar is something like a fall down breaking something invisible inside our minds. And i am almost sure its repairable even this aim keeps us going. Someday i also will fit in this life like everyone else, i will keep on blieveing till the end.

Thanks for reading.

I also have BPD and had many bad experiences with staff and treatment  . That being said sometimes if you are feeling so bad you may need the hospital. Dont fear Im sure you will be treated ok as you dont present often, The worse is the initial yime in the pschiatric emergency department as there is often a long wait But the most important thing is to honest and tell your story

Hi @Former-Member,

I was in a public hospital. my last admission was fantastic. at the time i was just ready to go and be discharged and kept thinking i was at home. but looking back on the admission i got a lot of attention from the nurses, they told me not to be scared which really helped. they were honest with me about consequences of medication, they understood my symptoms. i made a huge effort to be pleasant to them. i had a lot of trouble with forming sentences and communicating but they were fantastic. i wasn't really sure what my life would be after hospital but the nurses instilled a lot of self belief in me which i am still grateful for. quality support over a few days which lasts a lifetime 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance