Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: I Envy Physically Handicapped People!

Hi @KobeCat

Thanks for the question

I typed that because I remember some time back there was a big discussion about the things people say to us - about our MI and other issues I guess - and they are things that make our lives more difficult

But I have no idea how to find something that happened way back - I know this is an on-line archive of sorts and that this discussion and the list of unhelpful comments will still be there - I am hoping that a moderator or someone else would be able to find that - maybe it could help the author of this particular thread

Dec

HI @Owlunar

Other than use the search function at the top of the threads, I don't know another way to search old content.  You could prehaps email the sane team who work throughout the day at team@saneforums.org 

Best of luck 

Kobe

Thanks @KobeCat

I will do that in the morning

I don't remember what the discussion was called - but it was one of those Tuesday discussion and I think it might help someone here - I really like to help someone if I can

Dec

Hi @bhaI read through this thread and found it sparked lots of thought. One of those thoughts was how much we can never truly know exactly what it is like to be someone else. Maybe this is what can make it really difficult to both understand and be understood. I very much appreciate how hard it can be to live with challenges that other people can't or don't seem to recognise, or that they do and they blame you for, and that's what I am hearing you are finding really difficult which is understandable.

I am wondering if the thread that you were thinking of @Owlunar is this one here. It's a Q&A on what not to say to someone with MI. From memory it led to this blog post here, which may also be of interest. There's also this thread here that has a similar topic.

I find it helpful to know that other people can see my (mostly) invisible challenges. It doesn't change how hard it can be to navigate the world, but it makes me feel a little more understood and a little less alone. I hope that can in some way, help you also. 

Hi @Owlunar @bha @KobeCat 

I think this is the thread that Dec was mentioning to moderator 🙂 

what not to say - here

Hope you're all going ok, I think all invisible illnesses whether they are physical or mental are difficult to wear in so many ways and there are so many examples in both cases where there is stigma attached. And our own experiences of things are so varied for so many more reasons. Someone elses suffering doesnt make our own less...

Interesting discussion 🙂

Hi @Former-Member and @CheerBear

That is the thread I was referring too - I have to stop here right now but I will get back to it and see if I can copy some of the comments there - and @bha - I hope this earlier Q and A on the subject might help - I hope it does

Gotta go for a while but I hope to be back soon

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance