Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Karrie
Contributor

Backward steps

Hi.  I have been on this journey for about 8 months now and I was doing so well of late.  I actually felt like I was on top of my feelings and emotions, and I was starting to really live again.  Then last Friday was the 2nd anniversary of the death of my 32-year-old niece to breast cancer.  This was followed in quick succession with the deaths of 3 other close family members finishing with my sister in May last year.  

I am a teacher and had two really difficult classes on Friday one of which was a trigger for me.  Whilst I was able to pick myself up fairly quickly on Friday and move on, I feel like I am not quite right.  Things that don't normally bother me are and I feel like I am taking steps backwards.  I don't want to go back to where I was 5 months ago as that was some of my darkest days ever.  I have weekly therapy which I am really getting a lot from, but due to conflicting circumstances I am currently on a week without therapy.  How can I get past this slump?  Any suggestions on tactics that work for others will be greatly appreciated.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Backward steps

Hi @Karrie 

Hope this finds you well.  Like you I have been on a bit of a journey with my MH, and some days are good whilst others not so good.  To keep myself on the up so to speak, I do the things that I really enjoy and for me that has been music.  What do you really enjoy doing, what makes you smile or actually laugh.  Most importantly be nice to yourself, you are doing great, we all have hiccups (not sure if I spelt that right) in our recovery.

So all the best, thinking of you  🙂

Hi @Karrie 

You are amazing, feeling through all that loss. Be assured that you can't do it wrong. You have come so far, and even with a trigger, you can still look to the supports and healthy routines you do have in place. You've got this 🩷 

@Asgard has some good suggestions. How does the day give you joy? What actually makes you laugh out loud? 

Do you have a favourite meal that gives you great comfort, or perhaps encourages you to try new things, like a meal you ate while travelling? Do you have any beautiful bright clothing that makes you smile? Can you pop in for a cuppa anywhere this week? Maybe to a friend's or a community centre? It's a treasure trove of people and ideas! 

You can reach out for the things that make you feel safe and grounded, ie have a bath, get a massage, go for a walk, etc. 

You can also call the SANE Support line at any time for support (it's open right now if you need) on 1800 187 263, and of course post on our forums for support 💜

@Karrie, teaching can be hard because you can't always predict what topics of discussion will come up during classes. If you feel triggered mid-class, just take a moment to breathe deeply and reset.

Be kind to yourself...some good suggestions have already been made here. The SANE helpline is worth a call. You could also try journalling your thoughts and feelings - it can help you sort through your feelings and articulate what you're going through at the moment. It can also be a way to record your ups and downs so that you can look back on your journey later and identify more specific triggers. And you can also share it with your therapist when you meet them if you feel up to it.

Stay strong!

thank you everyone

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance