Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Satine
Casual Contributor

Feeling down

Isolation and the need to vent vexes me. I sometimes feel sad and alone despite having a job, friends and children. Then I lose motivation for exercise and other activities or chores. How to keep going is the question? Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Feeling down

Hello @Satine and welcome.

I can relate to sadness to loneliness but don't yet have answers.

What worked for me with exercise was doggedly pushing myself to establish a routine. Now force of habit wins out over lack of motivation and I can lose myself in the zen.  I've walked every day for nearly 2 years.

It sounds as though you do keep going  and do a lot in fact with job friends and children. 

Take care, you're doing great.

Yes, exercise has been phenomenal for me too. Ordinarily, I exercise everyday, which took years to build up to. Unfortunately a year and a half ago, work was so much pressure for me that I just did not have energy to exercise as much or for as long. Stress plays a big part in impacting my much needed routine. But you are right, I need to find my zen again. I’ve thought of organising a walking group once a week but anxious in case I don’t commit.

Thank you for responding.

Hi @Satine 

How are ye doing today.  Have felt the same as you on many occassions and sometimes my mojo (as i like to call it) seems to disappear.  So what makes you happy, what do you enjoy doing, have you actually treated yourself lately, me thinks now is the time to put yourself first for a change.

I decided to put myself first and it has made me a happier person.

Look after yourself, be nice to yourself and love yourself  🙂

Hi @Satine , motivation is not a magical resource and sometimes it's more about doing it regardless of how you feel. I have found I can usually manage a walk but it's about finding what you can do every day. I have found playing social sport has helped me as there is a social component and an accountability to showing up (if I don't play my team may need to forfeit). 

True and ordinarily I’ve been able to muster the energy to just do it. Additional challenges and weariness have left me feeling too low in resources to gather the strength to just do it.

I will be moving much later in the year and plan to join some groups for company in exercise, however, I don’t want to start something where I am that I won’t continue.

POV partly the fear of not being able to commit inhibits me. I have a very taxing job and the weariness leaves me without energy, hence I’m not up to exercise or engaging in going out. It’s a conundrum. Reaching out on here has helped.

Thank you. I am feeling better and walked last night.

i have been trying to put myself first the last year, its my new mantra but sometimes difficult. I had a set back last week with a huge challenge with a family member. I’d been setting and reaffirming boundaries which were ignored to the point where a confrontation happened and it took it out of me. It’s these challenges that wear me out. I have learnt so much about managing my depression, life, work, personal issue etc but it’s when a big stressor comes I crash and feel alone. This forum has helped a lot. There’s somewhere to reach out to. I have plans for dinner at a friends tonight so something to look toward to. Thank you

Hi @Satine 

Glad you are putting yourself first and that you are setting boundaries.  I used to have that issue and found that people (whether consciously or not) seemed to take advantage of me just trying to be nice.  Establishing boundaries though hard has worked well for me.  Keep those friends of yours close, you always find out who your true friends are in times of strife.

So keep being nice to yourself and hope ye had a great dinner.  🙂

Thank you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance