Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jlol
Senior Contributor

The lack of options and inability to do anything about my MH is crushing

So, if I'm su**dal and I call a helpline they'll call the cops and they will "arrest" me (eg, take my stuff, put me in a paddy wagon, and take me to a locked ward at a hospital). The public hospitals are so overwhelmed I will not be given any attention.

If I talk to a psychologist, or psychiatrist, or counsellor, same thing happens.

How TF are you meant to talk about this issue honestly and openly?

And how TF do you get help if you actually are su##al?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: The lack of options and inability to do anything about my MH is crushing

Hello @Jlol I've noticed you struggling for a long time. What would getting the attention you need look like to you?

For medication,  individual and group therapy your gp is somewhat of an initial gatekeeper and can help you, refer you, arrange a MHCP. Your psychologist and psychiatrist are the further bridges. If you want a friendship or mutual support group you might need to look for community organisations and charities... likewise for help with accommodation. 

If you want acknowledgement and support from these forums you have it, my friend. 

Hi @Jlol 

It really sounds like you aren't getting the kind of help and support that you need for you, and your experiences in the past haven't been what you needed at the time.

You've landed in a good spot here on the SANE forums where you can talk openly and honestly about how you are feeling and whats going on in you head.  We are here to listen and I for one am here for you.

The services and treatment that you received in the past don't sound like a good fit... when you asked how do you get help, can you describe or explain the type of help that you want/need in a bit more detail?  If you can narrow it down a bit more then the community here may be able to point you in the direction you need.

Stay safe

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

Hi @Dimity,

"What would getting the attention you need look like to you?"

Well, that could be split into 2 parts: what I need now, and what I need long term.

For what I need now: accommodation, serious support (not just kind words) for male survivors of DV, and a fair and simple 50/50 split of assets with my ex (even though I paid 66%).

For what I need long term: Intensive therapy. Like multiple hours, daily for a 2 or more weeks.

That is just not available, though. 

I've taken a lot of medication over the years and have decided it's just not for me. How can I "medicate" my why to finding somewhere to sleep. Or "medicate" away the abuse. There is a time and place for medication, but the way the MH industry seems to look at it like it's a miracle cure.

As for your other notes, I've been to a few community organisations and:

* I cannot get support for accommodation because technically I have a home. It's just my ex is living there.

* There are no support groups in my area.

Thanks @SkySeeker22 

" can you describe or explain the type of help that you want/need in a bit more detail? "

I want intensive, muti-hours long talking therapy that is consecutive over many days. 

This does not exist.

Thanks for sharing that @Jlol 

Its a great start that you have a clear idea of the type of care and help that you are needing.

Given that your experiences in the past haven't been ideal when you have spoken about your MH, have you considered reaching out to a GP or counselor to discuss what you are needing?

I understand that the specific help that you mentioned may not be available, have you thought about other options that may still have some benefit to you? 

Ie. multiple sessions with a mental health professional for a number of weeks - this would allow you to have contact multiple times a week. 

Or joining a community group where you can talk openly about what you need in person/online?  Some groups meet virtually as well as in person and you would have the ability to speak with others if you cannot make it to the in person meeting.

Or perhaps a combination?

Warm regards

SkySeeker22

@Jlol I hope you meet someone special for a new ongoing relationship that might fulfil some of your needs

Hearing you @Jlol 

@The clinical model is probably not the best.

your phrase

that you can’t medicate away homelessness was…. spot on.

too much medicating…. Not fixing probs…. Legal liability all sown up.

wish it were better 

for me and mine 

take care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance