Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JPNGJellybean
New Contributor

To take meds or not to take meds

Hi,

Ive been struggling with anx/dep for years now and I feel like I’ve tried everything but at the same time the feelings come up seemingly out of nowhere and by then I’m too dysregulated my mind hardly thinks about using strategies, or if it does think to do this and they don’t work (95% of the time) I feel worse. I’m thinking about taking an SSRI my doctor prescribed last year just haven't filled script yet. But I’m also super scared and anxious of side effects and not being able to work or cope while I am adjusting to them - if they are even going to be suitable for me? Waiting for ADHD assessment in a couple of months which is another reason I’ve put off taking meds but my anxiety has been awful again and I don’t know if I can wait that long. To add to it I can’t get in to see my doc, she’s away as is my psychologist and I can’t get in to see any doctor at all for a week and a half. Looking for thoughts around taking meds for the first time. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: To take meds or not to take meds

Hey @JPNGJellybean welcome to the forums, glad to have you with us! Hope you find it to be a warm and welcoming space. 

Sounds like you've been having a really challenging time, and it can be tough finding treatments and strategies that work for us - everyone is different after all. I can understand your nervousness about taking SSRIs for the first time, especially because there is that adjustment period, where for some people things get worse before they get better. It could still be worth a try to see if it ends up working for you! It can be helpful to put extra supports in place during the adjustment period so if you do end up feeling really crappy, you've got options for support to turn to. 

I hope the ADHD assessment goes well for you - I got diagnosed later in life myself, and it really helped me to better understand myself. You can come join us at the ADHD thread if you wanna chat to others about it! There's also a bunch of resources folks have shared, and some memes along the way. 

It does make it harder that all your MH supports are away at the moment. Please feel free to utilise our Support Line (1800 187 263, Mon-Fri 10am-8pm) if you wanna chat to someone in the interim. 

Also in case you haven't been across them yet, we do have some stipulations about talking about medications in our Community Guidelines - namely that we ask that folks don't share medication names or dosages, nor do we want people giving what could be construed as medical advice - just to ensure members are safe, and getting their info from medical professionals. Just something to be mindful of!

Anyway, once again we welcome you and hope you find what you're looking for here 😊💜

Hi and welcome, @JPNGJellybean  🙂

I think the meds are worth a good try - you won't know till you take them for a while.

I know meds have saved my life many times. 

Also, a handy forum tip to tag someone is to type @ and then click on their name in the drop-down box - that way they'll get a notification that you've replied to them. 

Hi @JPNGJellybean,

Welcome to the forums! 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I've read through your message a few times and can really relate to a lot of what you are going though.

I too share these anxious thoughts around starting new medications. Also having gone through an ADHD assessment myself I understand the frustrations around having to wait for everything while seeking out help.

It's sounds like you are really struggling with it all at the moment and I understand you haven't had much luck using utilizing your strategies. Could you possible try using them when you are regulated? I know it may sound odd but I've found it helps to use methods like TIPP though-out the day to assist in preventing these feelings from showing up altogether.

Let me know if this helps at all for you.

Hope you are finding your way @JPNGJellybean 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance