Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Uprooted and overwhelmed

Things are easing thanks to simply finding a safe way to share.  My disease isolates me and the loneliness is awful.  Simply because it isn't a straightforward "I have bi polar etc.

Hearing you. No one can be put into a box and jus told you have XYZ. 

So many factors are at play. Hence people need a team around them. I hope you get the support you need.

In terms of having a 'team' of supports, I think that's where area mental health was helpful for me. Within my team, I had a psychologist, consultant psychiatrist, social worker, peer worker, psychosocial worker...they would all have my files so I didn't need to repeat myself a million times. That's the part I don't like about MH - the fact that each time you see a new person, you have to repeat yourself over and over again.. it's tiring and can be traumatic.

It's really good to see you reflecting on things that work for you and being open to what you potentially need. That open-mindedness can be very helpful. @Radarears 

I'm not sure if area mental health is the same as community mental health (I'm in WA).  I wish I had that don't just make up my own team and do my best.  It is however heartening to hear that you are plugged into a team and that it is a cohesive and effective management aid.    I'm also thankful to you for sharing.  I have a swag of peer support with my physical issues and we all laugh lots and share things we find helpful and how to do things like tie shoelaces or manage buttons.  Sadly mental health issues are not openly shared and as I said having uncommon disorders and therapies is challenging.

Yes, I believe area mental health and community mental health are similar, if not the same @Radarears 

I'm in Vic metro, so the services are more available.

Good news is, I've been out of area mental health for about 5 years now. I'm in such a good place that I pretty much gave them the discharge date. However, when I look back, I'm continually grateful for all their support. They're not perfect, but neither am I. 

It's really a miracle that I'm alive. A few years ago, I was on the brink of death due to my MH condition. 

And yes, I found peer support and psychosocial support to be extremely helpful. It really gives a different perspective on life, and engenders hope.

Hi @unown 

Thank you very much for you honesty and for taking the time to reach out. Your acknowledgement that change is necessary, is an important step towards a more satisfying and heathy life. However, like most things change comes with its own challenges, which you have sensibly divided into doable bits.

Having been trained in career development, it seems to me that your communication skills could be applied to many vocations. What I am also hearing, is that your past role was impacted by events that took place outside of the school setting, which lessened you enjoyment in the role. A financial and career counsellor could provide practical support in both areas.

Beyond these considerations, prioritising your mental and physical health is sensible and provides you with a great opportunity to reset your career, whatever that might be. To this end, a good sleeping pattern, regular exercise, social connection, being open to new experiences and learnings, and taking the time 'to smell the roses' are proven strategies. 

Lastly, I believe most people have difficulty in sorting the things worth keeping from that less valuable. In this regard, it might be helpful to consider what you have actually used over the last 12 months or so, and use this the basis for your decisions. Apart from things of sentimental value, 'stuff' is just stuff. 

Hi @unown 

Thank you very much for you honesty and for taking the time to reach out. Your acknowledgement that change is necessary, is an important step towards a more satisfying and heathy life. However, like most things change comes with its own challenges, which you have sensibly divided into doable bits.

Having been trained in career development, it seems to me that your communication skills could be applied to many vocations. What I am also hearing, is that your past role was impacted by events that took place outside of the school setting, which lessened you enjoyment in the role. A financial and career counsellor could provide practical support in both areas.

Beyond these considerations, prioritising your mental and physical health is sensible and provides you with a great opportunity to reset your career, whatever that might be. To this end, a good sleeping pattern, regular exercise, social connection, being open to new experiences and learnings, and taking the time 'to smell the roses' are proven strategies. 

Lastly, I believe most people have difficulty in sorting the things worth keeping from that less valuable. In this regard, it might be helpful to consider what you have actually used over the last 12 months or so, and use this the basis for your decisions. Apart from things of sentimental value, 'stuff' is just stuff.

Hi @unown , that sounds like a big and stressful situation! Moving is difficult at the best of time but having to get rid of most of your stuff and having a lot of your finances related to your job that you're leaving makes even more of an impact. 

What are you looking forward to about the new job? Are you excited to live in a capital city? 

Yes I have had to do this lots of times...don't worry too much as things tend to fall into place bit by bit, and you slowly rebuild in the new location.  It is good to travel light- makes you less dependent on material things...it is actually a really good learning experience for life.

@Minkie-Rose 

Thanks for your perspective, I do think it would be a good idea for me to see a career counsellor when we've settled. I had a friend come over and help me cull my books (something I knew I'd have a hard time doing!) And I was able to pass a few things on to her that she really wanted so that was nice.

I'm trying my best not to get stuck feeling sorry for myself lying in bed in the mornings but my sleep schedule is definitely out of whack. I've started using the 'opposite action' strategy to get myself started and am finding it pretty good. I've been pleasantly surprised 90% of the time by how things turned out when I've made myself do the thing despite my worries. I'm going to keep cutting things down into smaller chunks because I'm still feeling overwhelmed most of the time by all the stuff that needs to be done but we are making progress bit by bit. It's getting easier to believe we'll be okay/figure everything out each day.

@Jasper_123Neither of us have a job lined up which is a big part of my worrying. We have been able to get some savings together and the people we'll be staying with are aware of our situation and still happy to help but that uncertainty around income is really daunting. I should be able to do relief Education assistant/admin work in schools to start with but I think my friend made a good point last night when she suggested I give myself at least a week to find my feet again before getting back into work just in case rushing into it overwhelms me and I stuff up the first job, giving me more evidence I'm not capable and psyching me out of working.

There are a few things I'm looking forward to about living in Perth again, I miss the weather and being able to get around most places using public transport. I also miss my family a lot, particularly the nieces and nephews. I feel a whole lot of shame around this and was nervous about telling people but everyone's been really supportive so far.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance