Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // Link between employment and improved mental health // Fri. 5 May, 12pm AEST

Thanks @OstaraAust

That list is helpful. I know I have a bit to go yet. 

Cheers 

Re: Career Chat // Link between employment and improved mental health // Fri. 5 May, 12pm AEST

Hi @Former-Member I know you will get there Smiley Happy

Just a few closing comments from me:

Inclusion While 67% of people between the age of 16 and 65 are employed, only 50% of people with a mid-to-moderate mental illness in this age group are employed and only 23% of people with a severe mental illness in this age group are employed (see: Connecting People with Jobs: Key Issues for Raising Labour Market Participation in Australia - OECD Publication 2017). This is not good enough and we need to improve this situation. 

Benefits: Improved physical and mental well-being - Waddell & Burton (2007): Employment has anti-stigmatising effects on people with severe mental illness - McGurk & Mueser (2003); Employment very beneficial for people living with depression and general mental health - van der Noordt (2014); Significant mental health symptom improvement and fewer hospitalisations - Bell et al. (1996), etc etc..

Cautions: Inappropriate work activity can be unduly stressful for some people and may lead to greater un-wellness - Lysaker (2005); Types employment which are demoralising, degrading or ‘noxious’’ are not good for your menatl health- Muntaner (2003); Once employed, ongoing “precarious” (i.e. every insecure) employment can be stressful and negatively effect mental health (Vives 2013).

So...When you look for a job or someone looks for you make sure that it is:

1. With the right people
  2. Doing the right type of work
  3. For the right number of hours
  4. In the right work environment
  5. At the right location for the place of work

Finally once you get a job

1. Be prepared for a period of adjustment
  2. Decrease the things in your life that undermine your work ability
  3. Continually monitor and manage your work pressure where...
  4. Work Pressure =  (a) What you have to do (divided by) (b) What you can actually do
  5. So If feeling under too much pressure, negotiate to reduce (a), and/or continue to develop your skills & resilience to increase (b) 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance