Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

@Tasharose thank you so much for joining and sharing with us tonight and becoming part of the forum community!

Thanks for your encouragement Georgie.. I thought that I had dealt with a lot of my "stuff" but maybe it's time to re-engage with someone and dig a little deeper?

@jbell I'm sorry to hear you have bee through so much. It definitely sounds like peer support would be great for you right now (are you going to Hearing Voices Network groups - there are networks in most states). even reading about people's experiences can be helpful (lots of links on our webside under Resources or on the Intervoice website). You are certianly not alone. 

Maybe @Smashpea. And I hope I didn't cause offense at my suggestion. Just that - a suggestion. We all have stuff sadly. Sometimes the stuff goes away all on its own, but often it takes blood sweat and tear (hopefully not literally all 3!). 

@Leapy, it sounds like you are doing some really great things. Thank you for sharing with others what you have found helpful. Compassion is a hard but worthy undertaking! Well done you. I can only imagine how hard that must be though when you hear a voice telling you to hurt yourself. I take my hat off to your strength. 

Unfortunately stigma (or negative attitudes and assumptions) towards hearing voices and psychosis exists. Even mental health workers can be influenced by such stigma (though certainly not all!), as can the people who have these experiences themselves (referred to as self stigma). The experience of stigma (either self stigma or the stigma held by others) associated with psychotic disorders has been demonstrated to increase levels of emotional distress, inhibit recovery, increase experiences such as voices, and to be associated with lower quality of life.  I believe however that attitudes are changing in a positive way, thanks to the great work of organisations such as the Hearing Voices Network (and hopefully Perth and Melbourne’s voices clinics!) to educate the general public, mental health workers, carers and people with lived-experience.

Have you been aware of stigma towards your experiences – either by others or by yourself?

OK thanks everyone, good night

No, I'm FAR from offended! It's something I've been thinking about doing for a while now (for voices and some other stuff) but need to work out the logistics.

sorry for not being around tonight @Georgie_Paulik, @Lauz 

finding it very interesting

Thats okay @Shaz51 - glad you are following along! @jbell thanks for sharing with us tonight!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance