Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Being honest

@Eden1919 @Tchef @Former-Member @Former-Member @Delicatessen and others

Telling or not telling about my mental illness to team leaders and execs at work has always been a double-edged sword because I have trust issues around multi-childhood trauma issues, high anxiety and depression and have instances when I virtually want to shut down.  I have worked at one place for almost 18 years and there are heaps of people who know nothing about me, but always tell me I am a little ray of sunshine and always happy to help others. Big eyeroll.  I have been a carer for my husband nearly all that time, and have been fairly quiet about that too.  It was only maybe 2 or two and a half years ago that I confided in one of the execs and basically touched base on what was going on in my life as I was totally freaking out and having constant melt downs, and he leaves it up to me what I am prepared to divulge to team leaders. Anxiety and depression are what I say to most team leaders. This particular exec regularly checks in and asks me if there's ever anything I need or want to help make work easier for me as I am a valued employee. Smiley Happy

HOWEVER, I would not divulge any of this in most work situations.  It's taken me 15 - 16 years to feel safe enough to share, but in other workplaces I wouldn't because anyone who has never suffered from mental illness has no idea, not that its their fault because we only know what we know. And mental illness is different for everyone and I know I can feel fine for a while but then things can go belly up pretty quickly!

And @Tchef thankyou for thinking about your dogs.  My dog has been a lifeline for me and has helped get me through some rough patches.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance