Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

IronLady
Casual Contributor

Feeling of helplessness

Dear Community,

I come to you once again, seeking solace and perhaps some guidance in a journey that has taken quite a tumultuous turn since my last post. For those who may remember, I've previously shared snippets of my experiences as a stepparent to my daughter, navigating the complexities of mental health challenges alongside her.

However, since my last post the landscape has shifted drastically. She is no longer friends with the friend mentioned in my previous post. She is seeing a new psychiatrist, who has thus far made various changes to her medication, in an attempt, at least as I understand it, to see what her natural behavior is without certain medication and she has a scheduled appointment with a psychologist in the coming weeks.

As her primary caretaker, I've been acutely mindful of the impact these medication adjustments have had on her well-being. I’ve been sitting in at every psychiatrist appointment, at her request, and have given feedback to the psychiatrist regarding her sleep patterns, anxiety etc. I’ve also been reading various literature in an attempt to arm myself with skills of how to react in certain situations (because let’s be honest, she is mid-twenties and pushes boundaries under the umbrella of “I’m a grown-up and no one will tell me what to do”, when a situation does not suit her).

However, in the past almost two weeks, I find our relationship strained. She's begun to withdraw, distancing herself more with each passing day. Simple rituals, like our morning discussions about her sleep patterns and medication routines, have eroded into silence. Attempts to inquire about this are met with hostility and accusations that I am judging her.

It's a precarious balancing act. On the one hand, I've always believed in maintaining a dialogue focused on tangible aspects where I can offer constructive feedback to her doctors. On the other hand, her recent revelations, coupled with her resistance to open up, have left me grappling with a profound sense of inadequacy.

Outside observers, well-meaning though they may be, offer their assessments, noting the toll this journey has taken on me. "You look tired," they say. And yet, the complexity of our situation defies easy explanation. How do you convey the intricacies of a relationship influenced by mental health struggles and the relentless seeking of balance between support and self-preservation?

Yesterday, she confided in me something that shook me to my core, something that contradicted the very guidelines set forth by her psychiatrist. It's a revelation that has left me questioning my role, my worth, and the limits of my endurance. It made me wonder whether she really wants the help she once sought.

Today I found myself contemplating the unthinkable – walking away. But what does that say about me? What kind of person entertains such thoughts, even for a second? It's a question that haunts me, one that underscores the magnitude of the challenges we face. And of course, I am met with well meant comments from her parents encouraging me not to “abandon” her. But they only know what she has expressly given me permission to tell them (which is almost nothing), which makes me look even worse than what I am already feeling for thinking of walking away.

So here I am, once again, bearing my soul to this community in search of understanding, empathy, and perhaps a glimmer of hope. In a journey fraught with uncertainty, your support remains a beacon of light amidst the darkness.

With heartfelt gratitude,

The IronLady

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Feeling of helplessness

Hello @IronLady 

Thank you for reaching out today. I can hear the pain and genuine regard for your daughter's welfare and respect. I read over your earlier posts and I can see you've committed a lot of your time and effort to maintaining safe boundaries for family. 

Sometimes we are faced with ethical dilemmas that the heart can't understand. In this case, it can be beneficial to draw a boundary for yourself, for your own self respect and welfare, and take some time so that you can go on to act in the best interests of both of yourselves.

Commitment to the path can look different for everyone. It is up to us what and how we contribute, sometimes more and sometimes less. What would be the outcome if you were to step back for a while? Could it be done ethically? 

Please do not beat yourself up. It is hard work giving to others who need help, while still maintaining boundaries, or flexible boundaries between need and independence. Not easy at all. Contemplating walking away says nothing bad about you. It says you are perfectly human and looking at things through your own needs, which is normal. You deserve care, too. 

Is there anyone you can talk through the curly aspects with? Sane also offer a support line you can call 1800 187 263 Available Monday to Friday, 10am - 8pm (AEST/AEDT).

xx

Hi @IronLady ,

Thank you for sharing your ups and downs. I'm hearing how much things have changed between you and your step-daughter. Whilst you have tried so many things, I'm wondering if this is not a reflection of your ability or your lack of trying, but rather, a stage in your step daughter's life where she wants a bit of a break?

Why I'm saying this is that I can relate to what you have shared. For me, when I was about 16, I wanted a break from life - I wanted my parents to stop asking questions and "on my back" (I'm not saying you are doing this). The more my parents tried to get things out of me and 'fix' me, the more upset and angry I got - until I finally left home. 

I wonder if it's about simply letting her know that you are there for her no matter what, and when she is ready, she can some to talk to you? Just that constant reassurance can go a long way. It also means she is in control as to whether she is ready to speak or not. 

Please don't be too hard on yourself. We must each find our own way.

I can see you that you care very much. 

Please take care. If I have said anything upsetting, please let me know and I will remove it. 

@IronLady 

I know how much you care for your stepdaughter and how much you do for her! We all have negative thoughts or thoughts that we feel guilty for. This is totally acceptable, we all have thoughts in times of stress! 

It's what you do after. Do you genuinely feel like walking away OR have you taken on too much responsibility? As you've said your step-daughter is in her twenties! She is also responsible for her wellbeing, it's not all on you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance