Skip to main content

Re: Mental Health in the workplace

@Andarna , do you think you can phone them tomorrow or at some point during the week? We will wait to hear from you.

Perhaps you can write down a few notes before you phone them so you know what to ask.

@MJG @tyme 

Even if you take the injury off the board, who can help with even having the first face to face casual coffee meeting, when I'm terrified to even talk to them on the phone and putting off emailing them. I know that's a mental health thing but I can't exactly take my psychiatrist/psychologist with me to the meeting or my mum to hold my hand.

It may be work with your therapist @Andarna .

To be honest, I HATE phones. I would do anything no to have to make a phone call. 

I found that when I just did it without thinking, I was better. But if I stewed on it for too long, I'd end up not doing it. 

Is this something you can talk to your treating team about?

@tyme 

I will try, as I said it's been plaguing me for weeks. I still haven't called Fairwork ombudsman in months regarding advice on my last workplace that caused the PTSD.

I do know that contacting my current workplace is a priority and knowing my rights will make it less scary. 🤞

@AndarnaI found this from

https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/3-managing-mental-illness-workplace

(It is aimed at employers, but it does go through all the rights and responsibilities of both sides.)

It is appropriate to offer the worker the option of bringing a support person to any meeting arranged with the purpose of discussing their mental health issues.

So it's not unreasonable to take some support person with you to such a meeting if you thing you need to.  And any employer is required to keep anything discussed about mental health private, but I do understand it would feel very risky.

My next psychologist appointment is in 1.5 weeks and we said we would focus on it if I'm still stuck.

@Andarna 

I think finding out about your rights would be very helpful to you.  You have so many unknowns going on in your head right now.... thinking up so many possibilities.

Not the same I know, but when I was first diagnosed with a serious illness a couple of years ago, I went into a bit of a panic.  Understandable, but what helped my a lot was to find out as many facts about my situation as possible.  I could then at least focus on what was true and doable, rather than worrying about a head full of unknowns.

While you are at it, if you want to call Work Safe for your previous workplace, it may be helpful too @Andarna 

All the best. 

Hi @Andarna, I just wanted to check in and see if you've had any success talking to your workplace.

Yes @Andarna , just following up to see how things have gone for you. 

Hope you are okay. 

Please know we have your back and we are thinking of you.

Hey @MJG017  🙂