Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Margot
Senior Contributor

Service Spotlight //SANE StigmaWatch// 12 Jun – 15 Jun

service-spotlight-stigmawatchjpg.jpg

Hi everyone and welcome to Service Spotlight!

This feature highlights a member of staff here at SANE Australia and the program they run. You will see this feature come up every few months.

This will be set up as a Q&A giving members the opportunity to ask any questions about a program featured and respond to a question that is put out to the community by the program lead.

Below you will see a few interview questions to give you a bit of information and background on the particular program.

You can post your question at any time and answers will be provided between Tuesday and Friday next week 

To kick off this new feature we have  @EllenFromSANE - I’ll let her introduce herself!

Who you are and what your role at SANE Australia is:

I’m Ellen and I work on SANE Australia’s StigmaWatch program. I work with media professionals to promote the responsible reporting of mental illness and suicide in the Australian media.

A bit about your program:

Mental illness and suicide are important issues for media to cover. When media report the issues responsibly, coverage can help reduce stigma surrounding mental illness and raise awareness of suicide prevention activities. However, research shows when mental illness and suicide are reported irresponsibly, media stories can do harm.

If you find media coverage that stigmatises mental illness or irresponsibly reports suicide, you can report the item to StigmaWatch.

Anyone can report a media item to StigmaWatch and if the coverage is found to breach Mindframe media reporting guidelines, StigmaWatch will contact the media outlet involved with constructive feedback and advice.

What’s coming up for your program:

We’re looking to grow our StigmaWatch community. Sign up to SANE’s StigmaWatch program to join thousands of others helping reduce stigma in the media.

A question you have for the community:

How well do you think the Australian media cover mental illness and suicide?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Service Spotlight //SANE StigmaWatch// 12 Jun – 15 Jun

Thanks for sharing a bit about the Stigma Watch program @EllenFromSANE. Responsible media reporting is particularly important in an age of social media where misinformation and unhelpful content can spread quite quickly. 

In my view, there's still a long way to go and it's great to see initiatives like Mindframe helping to guide the media on communicating information on mental illness and suicide in a safe and respectful way.

What does everyone else think? Did you know about the StigmaWatch program and how to report stigmatising media reports? Have you ever reported anything via StigmaWatch? How else do you think the media might be able to improve how they report on mental illness?

Re: Service Spotlight //SANE StigmaWatch// 12 Jun – 15 Jun

Thanks to everyone for dropping in to read about the StigmaWatch program. As a reminder, if you spot media coverage that stigmatises mental illness, you can report to us and if the item breaches media reporting guidelines, we'll follow up with the media professional involved. Hope you have a good weekend.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance