Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Mindfulness and CBT for carers // 21 March, 7 - 9pm AEDT

@soul  are you channeling me?   This is just eerie.  What you are saying is what I've experienced.  I mean I could be writing what you are.

Sounds like mindfulness helps people be more present and calm by being in the moment, whereas CBT helps people take control of their minds @soul and @Former-Member. Smiley Very Happy

I wonder if there are particular times that either one might be useufl? 

@Former-Member - good to know I'm not alone.

@CherryBomb 

There are some fundamental differences in the way that the two different intervention approach thoughts and beliefs. We have supported carer using both techniques. The goals of the two techniques can be quite different and it is reflected in its approach to thoughts. Thank you @CherryBomb for sharing one of the picture in the Infographic we have designed. I have posted the rest of the Infographics on explaining the differences in the two techniques in this post. CBT1.jpg

CBT2.jpg

CBT3.jpg

Thank you for the reply @snowlee127 As with the carer you mentioned, I have found recently in my role as carer that mindfulness is far more helpful, especially those very basic techniques like the focus on breathing. CBT, which was actually extremely beneficial to me on a personal level in the past, when dealing with learned behaviours/unhealthy coping mechanisms, hasn't been as relevant when dealing with the stress of being a carer. It certainly has helped me to have a better understanding of myself though, which inevitably has helped in every area of life 🙂 I just wish that I could remain in that mindful state always. I need to practice more!

Well, hello there @mindbootcamp all the way in Ireland! 

Can I ask what is the most practical take away you've taken away from using mindfulness as a carer?

I use both,  before my PTSD because I tried to help someone who didn't want to be helped..  I used mindfulness,  to get myself on the road to recovery from deep inside a hole of PTSD I switched to proactive thinking..   ie CBT

@CherryBomb - seems like an accurate description. In the heat of the moment, it can be difficult to take a step back. My issue was when I needed to remove myself from volatile situations, I was unable to physically do so. That was scary. I had to use mindfulness to try to diffuse and minimise the fallout and this wasn't always possible. 😢

I also use both @Former-Member, CBT when I can recognise and hear my unhelpful thinking, and mindfulness when I'm feeling anxious and overwhelmed. 

Maybe one is more focused on the mind, and the other is more focused on the body and immediate surroundings. What do you think @snowlee127?

@soul Yes and I think it is also why many carers found Mindfulness more helpful. When we are in a heated argument, it is incredibly hard to be able to apply CBT strategies. When we are in a fight or flight response, our rational part of brain-pre-frontal cortex shuts down. Breathing is a lot easier to remember and practice. Also, many carer found when they were less reactive to an false accusation of their loved one, the situation often can be resolved in a better way,

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance